White bumps on angel... PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How is he today??

Well the bumps are going away so I guess that is good.... However I haven't been able to get him to eat since last night. I just did a water change and redosed with the parasite medication to make up for what was removed. Thank you for asking :) I will keep everyone posted

The thing is you caught it fairly early so that is a plus. And you know there still isn't alot of info on treatments as people have many different ideas of it's cause and cure. The last time I actually saw it was in the 80's and mostly back then it was considered to be a parasitic related disease. With luck he'll pull through.

The thing is you caught it fairly early so that is a plus. And you know there still isn't alot of info on treatments as people have many different ideas of it's cause and cure. The last time I actually saw it was in the 80's and mostly back then it was considered to be a parasitic related disease. With luck he'll pull through.

So I am on day three of using the parasite medication and all those white bumps are gone! There are noticeable holes left behind but they do not look red or inflamed. He does have some excess mucous, perhaps a result of the general cure? He's still not eating. Another thing is that his top fins seem to be more extended, like the little short fins running up the top of his crown seem more spiky? I am not sure how to explain it. His scales are all flat though, I know that when the scales pop out it's a sign of something... Dropsy maybe?

I think I'll do the treatment for another day or two then I will start with melafix

Angels plus has some great immune booster flakes for after episodes like these. You can refrigerate them after using them to keep them fresh for down the road too.

The holes are the progression of the disease. Don't know if Melafix will help or not but if the holes continue to expand then you are going to have to treat with something else. Keep us posted.

Thanks everyone! Rivercats, can you suggest any particular medication that would be good for the holes? Should I keep treating the parasite until they are gone?

I only dealt with it once in the 80's and have no idea what I used, sorry I can't be of any help with this one. As for the parasite treatment I think you need to treat for as long as the med you have recommends. Also if it was caused from a parasite you should treat your other tank. It's a judgement call on treating the main tank tho.

I only dealt with it once in the 80's and have no idea what I used, sorry I can't be of any help with this one. As for the parasite treatment I think you need to treat for as long as the med you have recommends. Also if it was caused from a parasite you should treat your other tank. It's a judgement call on treating the main tank tho.

Good call I was wondering if I should treat the main tank too. So far everyone seems OK and I'm assuming it becomes contagious when there parasites drop but better safe than sorry. Do you think a UV filter would be helpful too?

I don't remember much about the life cycle of hexamita but a uv is only going to kill any parasite that actually pass through the uv light in the filter so they aren't going to be overly helpful if at all depending on the parasite. I actually run a uv sterilizer off one of my cansiters all the time as I like how it helps polish the water and keep bacterial levels low.

I don't remember much about the life cycle of hexamita but a uv is only going to kill any parasite that actually pass through the uv light in the filter so they aren't going to be overly helpful if at all depending on the parasite. I actually run a uv sterilizer off one of my cansiters all the time as I like how it helps polish the water and keep bacterial levels low.

Thanks rivercats.... I just removed the meds with carbon and did a water change. His holes are nearly gone but now his belly is quite swollen and he's still not eating. I tried peas for bloat and his favorite worms but he has no interest.... I can only fear the worst at this point :-/

It could very well be it has a secondary bacterial infection. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that Mardel's Maracyn II antibiotic is absorbed through the fishes skin so it doesn't matter if it's eating or not. Also here is a good site with various information.... Fish Bloat, Diagnoses and Treatment.

It could very well be it has a secondary bacterial infection. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that Mardel's Maracyn II antibiotic is absorbed through the fishes skin so it doesn't matter if it's eating or not. Also here is a good site with various information.... Fish Bloat, Diagnoses and Treatment.

Oh man I was just at the store today I should have gotten some of this! I didn't notice the bloat until I got home. The reason I am so worried is that this fish has a history. I bought him and another veilfin off of a guy on craigslist... Like an idiot I did not qt them. Within a few days my other angels began to stop eating, bloated up, and within 24 hours were gone. No medications helped them. I was at a loss. This fish I'm dealing with now is the survivor of that tragedy. I am thinking that whatever he was carrying is starting to emerge again. So in a way I kind of expected this to happen. I am only hoping I removed him from the main tank in time... I can't handle another angel wipeout!

I am going to get the maracyn as soon as I can and hope for the best. Thank you again for your help

Well he's starting to eat again but is spitting up almost everything he takes in... I will keep trying I don't want to give up on him

All you can do is keep trying. You've giving it your best shot so regardless of what happens you've done good.

All you can do is keep trying. You've giving it your best shot so regardless of what happens you've done good.

Thank you, I just hope I'm not keeping him in pain. I don't think I am though because he's swimming fine and still active... But hasn't eaten a substantial meal in almost two weeks which makes me wonder how he's even still alive. Thank you for your encouragement

So I moved my angel back to the main tank today... He's been showing real progress! His appetite is nearly back to normal and he's finally interacting with me again. I've still got my eye on him but I am feeling more hopeful that he's going to make it. Thank you for all of your help it played a huge role in his recovery :)

ForumRunner_20130301_203438.jpg home at last

Wishing you and your Angel well! Stay strong!! Me and my 4 angels are thinking about the two of you!

Very BEAUTIFUL angel by the way. I LOVE the tail fin and coloring!

Back
Top Bottom