Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
White Cloudy Water

I did a search on white cloudy water and read that it is an algea bloom due to possibly over feeding. I just wanted to make sure that that is true in my case-
Two nights ago we moved my bf's tank from his apt to the new house. We left the lights off all night for the fish to adjust. The water was slightly dirty from the move. (Gravel vac-ing most of it up, the rest sloshing around in the car). The water cleared up a good amount yesterday but was still slightly cloudy. This morning, however, it seemed to be significantly cloudier. Stephen fiddled with the filter and it looks like it might be clearing up some. (but this could be our imagination). Is there any reason for the cloudiness?
We don't overfeed our fish, there have never been any problems in the tank (ich, massive algea, etc), and the lights are on a normal amount of time. Oh, its a 29 gal with an angel fish, 2 kissing gouramis, one blue gourami and 3 snails. (all the fish are still small so its not over stocked or anything)

I can't give any water parameters because well, our test kits stink and the one I ordered hasn't come in yet.

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
White cloudy water is usually due to a bacterial bloom. Is the tank cycled? Is it possible that your benificial bacteria died? This indicates high ammonia and you should do some water changes.

Old 07-22-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

We were worried about losing the good bacteria so I bagged up a few plants in the water. Also, we left about an inch of water above the gravel to keep it wet. Maybe that wasn't good enough?

Its just odd how it was foggy because of the move, it cleared up a bunch, then got progressivly worse.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:06 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I would definitely check ammonia and nitrite. I had a nitrite spike once from being overly aggressive with a gravel vac once, stirring up a great deal of stuff that I had left too long, and trouble presented itself as cloudy water.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
The filter media is where most of the bateria is, did you keep that wet?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmmm I don't remember.. I don't think we did.

The water had cleared up a great deal since my first post. I will go ahead and do a water change just to be on the safe side.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, white cloud

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com