White crusty build-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramrebel

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's all over the filter, the hood, the tank edge.
I think it's lime or something. Or is it just hard water residue?

How do I clean it?

Ed

Yes, it's most likely mineral deposits left over from evaporation. Generally found from tap water. You can clean it with vinegar as long as you rinse it off compleletly at the sink. Don't use soap or abrasives.

I found using a damp towel with a little RO water and elbow grease removes it safely.

You can cut down on the overall film, if you mix your tank with RO water over time.

Vinegar will clean it up, but you don't want to get any into the tank water and you have to rinse it really well. I only use vinegar when I'm breaking a tank down.

I usually take anything that has it on it (hood, filter, light, etc) over to my sink and clean it there with plain water. Most times I can use something to gently scrape it off (my thumbnail). The more difficult stuff I'll use an old toothbrush and plain old water.

what is this RO water you speak of and where do i get it?

RO water is Reverse Osmosis water. I think that you can get it a walmart. They sell it at a filtered water station. You know, the place where you can fill your own jugs. Lots of grocery stores have them as well. IMO elbow grease and vinegar at the sink and rinse well for hood, canopies filters, etc. And tap water and elbow grease and around your tank.

The crusties are caused by water evaporating off the crusty surface. It might be easier to minimize water getting on the surface to begin with. If you have an air stone the bubbles will pop on the surface and this is what causes water to get on the crusty surface in the first place. Is the air stone necessary? Plants will help oxygenate your tank. Also you might see if you can close the gaps in the hood that allow the tiny droplets room jump out.

RO water seems like a lot of money and effort to just get rid of crusties (since you don't already have it).

in addition to crusties, I have a bright white almost fuzzy stuff growing/accumulating on that little sponge like thing you put in front of the HOB filter

Ill bet the white fuzzy stuff is from fish food.. do you use pellets, or any fish food with alot of vitamin, biologoically enhanced> Flakes usually wont cause this though. The crusties are from evaporating water, airstone bubbles are probably getting water on your hood.

Back
Top Bottom