white crystal are building on the cover of my filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.coco

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello, i need some help i just started in this hobby and ive been noticing a build up of white crystal on the cover of my filter and other parts of my tanks. i have a 29 gal tank with one goldfish. please help me out here!!!

Hi! I suspect you have very hard water. The white deposits are mineral buildups of calcium, lime, etc from your water. Unsightly but not harmful. I have the same thing. For the outside of your tank, you can wipe them with plain white vinegar (dont get it in your tank!). The inside of your tank will need frequent cleaning to prevent the buildup from developing in the first place. You can remove the filter housing, hood, lights, etc & clean them seperately with vinegar then rinse well with plain water. Make sure you keep your filter media seperate in a bucket of tank water when you go to clean. There is no way to prevent this from happening (except regular cleaning). An expensive alternative would be to install a RO system but goldies do a bit better in hard water so this really isnt necessary. :)

ok :) i was getting a bit woried for a second. thank you for helping me out here Jlk.

Back
Top Bottom