White film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smashley09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gallon, fully cycled tank. I added Manzanita Driftwood to the tank as well as live plants. I am using Flourish fertilizer, twice a week, and the API CO2 Booster daily. I have a light white film that develops on the top of the water. I use my net and remove what I can and it returns each day. I have changed the carbon, and refreshed the filter pads with water changes. Any ideas on what is causing this and how to control it?

Not much. My filter output is about 5 inches below the surface.

Sounds like a protein film which is common when little surface agitation is present. Is there a way to raise your output close to the surface? Or perhaps add a HOB on and lower the water so the outflow cascades into the tank like a waterfall. Some people lay paper towels or black and white section of the newspaper on the suface of the water and let them soak up the film for a few minutes before removing them.

I can raise the output. I have a canister filter so the cascade idea will not apply. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom