White film on everything.(UPDATE)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freefour

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone . Has anyone tried Wardley Bullseye 7.0 . It bills itself as a water condioner and would bring my hard water down . I put some in according to the directions last night and woke up with a white film on everything . I checked the water it is still hard . My nitrite is 0 and so is my nitrate leves (though they were befor ). I just did a 25% change last night . Has anyone had the same thing happen ? It doesn't seem to be effecting the fish ( 10 gallon tank and 2 small fantails )Any advice ?

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

My recommendation is to throw that bottle of Wardley Bullseye away. Chemical pH adjusters are not good products. pH down products are nothing more than acid. pH up products usually contain significant levels of phosphates.

In either respect, they are a short term solution, which usually create other problems when used.

Why do you think you need to soften your water? what's your current pH? what's your current Gh and Kh?

I really doubt you need any pH conditioners. The only water treatment you should need is a basic dechlorinator, and I recommend Prime by SeaChem, as it dechlors, but doesn't contain aloe vera or other extra junk that could cause issues. Its also very concentrated so its a little more economic.

My PH is 7.8 the Alkalinity is between 180 and 300 on the test strip chart and hardness is about 300. Amonia is in the normal and like I said the nitrite and nitrate are safe .

Are you using test strips for all of your tests? Do you have any liquid re-agent tests? Test strips are notoriously inaccurate and may be skewing your results, not to mention your mind set.

Yes all I can get ahold of right now is test strips ( for right now ) .Also I only use bottled spring water (not drinking or distilled water but spring water) from WalMart.

Hi all Question about the filter?

I rinsed out the bio filter and the regular filter ( I have a power filter aqua-tech 5-15 ) with used tank water . Kinda back flushed them . The golds are looks like eating the leftover white film that was left on some of the rocks and plants . I scrubbed the tank walls and filter houseing too.The water is VERY clear now and even thought I still have hard water everything else seems to be ok. They are swimming up a storm I read that it is better to wash out the filters with the tank water rather than replace the filter like it said on the box (replace every 2 weeks) . I read it in the fourm under getting started thread and titled "Help! We have cloudy water ..." If it is better to rinse the filters with the old tank water than replace every 2 weeks please tell me . I understand about the bactiriea and everything but wouldn''t the filter eventualy become so clogged it would have to be replaced? Please ... need to know.Thanks.

Attachments

• my_tank_fish_behide_the_middle_plant_604.jpg
    my_tank_fish_behide_the_middle_plant_604.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 37
Tap water should be just fine. 7.8 isn't all that bad. A stable ph is better than trying to keep it at a certain level. If you feel you have to use bottled water, I would prefer just plain drinking water and not spring water. Spring water is loaded with other minerals as well. But your tap should be just fine. I wouldn't spend the extra money on bottled water.

Very few fish cannot adjust to diff pHs than they are used to in nature. I think that Discus are some of hte more sensitive ones?

I have a puffer ina soft water tank, and angels in hard water....well was hard water the driftwood is softening it up

Back
Top Bottom