White Flaky Stuff in 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheDrunkenHippo

Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hello,

I have somewhat recently started seeing this white flaky skin substance in my 55 gallon aquarium, pictured here: https://imgur.com/a/o9M276n
In this tank I have two bichirs, a senegal and a delhezi, as well as a couple of assorted plants. The fish are fed carnivore pellets every night, and are not very large right now. The del is brand new and maybe 2.5", and the sen is maybe 4".
The fish themselves are fine, don't seem to be stressed or anything, but this stuff is disgusting to look at and clean up. I have found absolutely no concrete information on this stuff, which is very odd. A few odd videos with 10 different potential "solutions" recommended by the OP, and a post on another forum where the person's description of the stuff seemed almost spot on to what I'm seeing, who suggested overfeeding was the issue, which I can definitely see being my potential cause. Has anybody on here dealt with this issue and have a solution to it?

It does look like leftover food particles in varying stages of decomposition... not much else it could be IMHO, other than maybe decaying plant matter/fish waste. Reduce the feeding for some time or let the fish fast for a few days and see if it helps, if it does you'll know that was the culprit. I don't know what kind of filter you have, but maybe check if it's not clogged, or if there's any other potential reason why it's letting all that gunk through instead of syphoning some of it out. Maybe move the intake?

Back
Top Bottom