Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

White flecks on glass - ID

Hi

My planted freshwater nano tanks have recently had an explosion of weird white spots which I haven't been able to identify. They're definitely not snail eggs, limpets, cyclops, hydra, planaria or any of the other common culprits (I've seen all of those before & this is something different). They don't seem to be bothering the fish or shrimps, but I'd still like to know what they are, just to be sure. I've never seen them move, but there seem to be more and more of them & only on the glass. My bettas aren't interested in them, and neither are the shrimps. Nothing new was added to the tank, except a different kind of fertilizer (all-in-one for shade plants) and some catappa leaves. I first noticed them after I pulled a lot of the plants and trimmed a big clump of moss - they seemed to "come out of hiding", so to speak, & have since taken up residence on the tank walls. They're rounded, no more than half a millimetre long, with little white dots inside of them and a second, smaller round part attached to the "main" body.

Any ideas on what they could be? Should I be worried, or is it just harmless plankton?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210611_023524.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	321030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210611_023348.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	321031  

Old 06-11-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank of the Month Award

Gosh, they sure look like eggs don't they?

Old 06-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamroper View Post
Gosh, they sure look like eggs don't they?
The bigger part kind of does, but then there's this small translucent bit next to it that doesn't contain anything and just looks like either a mouth or a suction cup They all have the same structure if you look at them through a magnifying glass & they vary in size, but even the biggest ones are SUPER tiny, smaller than a limpet. I have lots of different snails & I see egg sacs all the time, but this is something different. I'm not even sure if it's an animal or some kind of weird fungus, but it definitely looks organic.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank of the Month Award

Really strange. Are there a lot of them?
Old 06-12-2021, 01:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamroper View Post
Really strange. Are there a lot of them?
Yeah, quite a few. The glass looks like it has dandruff, lol.

Tags
glass, white

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com