Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

White Growth on Java Moss

Good morning guys,

I am in the process of getting a new 30 gallon tank going. Initially we planted the tank, added some turbo-start, and let it sit for a few weeks. We added a handful of fish and saw some pretty high nitrite and nitrate spikes initially which we were able to reduce through a number of water changes. Now the nitrite levels have been brought down into the safe zone based on our test strips.

The good news is that the fish in the tank are doing well. We do have some strange growth on our java moss and select areas within the tank. It looks like a white film.

Any ideas what this might be? I tried to search for similar growth, but didn't get a clear understanding as to whether this is an algae growth, mold, or bacteria. I wasn't sure if this was normal given the high nitrate levels that we saw initially.

Right now I am limiting the amount of time that the lights are on, I am trying to make sure not to overfeed, and cleaning the tank every few days to remove excess food from the gravel.

Anything else I should be doing to help mitigate this issue?

Thanks!

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/KzV2af7" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/KzV2af7"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Old 08-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

[IMG]short term goals vs long term goals[/IMG]

smart goals for gym

Tags
growth, java, java moss, moss, white

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com