White haze after every PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kreesdqban

Aquarium Advice Regular
After every PWC I make in my tank my water gets a white haze in it a couple hours later. It eventually clears up the next day and doesnt seem to affect the fish.

I just want to know why this happens EVERY time I do a PWC!:bad-words:

How are you adding the water back in to the tank? Are you adding it slowly by siphoning or pouring it in quick? Also how much water are you changing each time?

Also, what are the parameters of your tap water? NItrates, KH, GH?

When we were on well water there were a lot of TDS in the water, and I would imagine under light in a tank they would show up a lot until the particles/air settled out of the water and were filtered.

This also could be very fine bubbles, from the dissolved gases coming out of solution. This is esp. common if the water is from a deep well. If the gas is CO2, the outgassing could alter the pH. <It is OK, if the gas is N2.> I would check the pH of the tap vs tank just in case. If it is very different, you might want to let your change water equilibrate in a tub overnight before the pwc.

No, theyre not bubbles. I add the water from the hose, into a tank where it is dechlorinated, then into the tank. I make sure to avoid stirring up the water as much as possible. As far as KH ang GH, I dont test for it, I got the readings once, a while ago, and thats it. I didnt test for ammonia and nitrates at the time since I had just changed the water and was hoping they would be 0 with new water in...

FWIW... mine does this during the summer months but not the winter months. The city must change something in the water. It has never seemed to point to anything bad in a water test (which I generally do the day after a PWC unless I truly expect a problem).

Back
Top Bottom