White molly eating everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldenPlecTony

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone

We have a White Molly in my 24 gallon tank and it tries to eat every piece of food when I feed them, it ate 25 pieces of food before I notice any other fish got 1. He has a bit of a belly on him also. Here's a pic This my friends is a lion with a fish suit on :)

Attachments

• image-3667319721.jpg
    image-3667319721.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 71
The reason that SHE is eating so much is that SHE looks about 2-3 weeks away from giving birth.

So, a preemptive congratulations on the bouncing baby mollies. :D

Oooo I'll have to change her name from John to Janine! Lol

She has been like that for about 4-5 weeks now atleast. I read somewhere that they are only pregnant for a month? Hope your correct, I'll keep a close eye on her and get the little 1 safe as soon as possible :). Thanks for the advice

Female mollies tend to be fatter than males, so I can't be 100% sure that she's pregnant or even when they might give birth - but that picture definitely looks female. Easiest way to tell is that a female molly as a normal triangle bottom-rear fin (anal fin), where a male molly has a Gonopodium that he uses for the baby-making.

Here's the classic Male Molly shape, courtesy of LiveAquaria.

p-39949-gold-dust-molly.jpg

Bingo! We have 3 mollies and 2 of them are females. We have an orange one which is female and another black 1 which is male. You can clearly see the difference :). Orange is a lot thinner than Janine. Hopefully won't be too long before we get some babies

Back
Top Bottom