White powder in new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blooper27

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay everyone, I've recently bought a new tank and have had it filled up whilst also adding my plants and decor with the filter and heater running for a few days whilst I wait for my ammonia to be delivered to start my fishless cycle (it comes tomorrow) however I've recently noticed a strange dust like material on the lid of my filter, the inside of the front glass panel and the surface of my water? Wondering what this means and if it's still okay to start my cycle tomorrow.

Attachments

• PXL_20200930_182940058~2.jpg
    PXL_20200930_182940058~2.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20200930_184338315.jpg
    PXL_20200930_184338315.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 27
If you had fish in there I'd sa a a say a cocaine habit, but since it's empty..... could it be hard water deposits? Where I live we have pretty hard water that will leave white chalky residue on the lids, etc

Did you rinse you decor and substrate before adding it?

I rinsed the sand but not very well, I also put bogwood in the tank after only rinsing it once not knowing what tannins can do to water colour. I took the bogwood our a few days ago and the water has cleared a bit since then, you should've seen how murky my tank was on the first and second day of it running.

Also I doubt it's hard water because my water is slightly acidic and had a ph of about 6.8

Haha! That wood will sure make it look like tea. Prob not your water then, my guess would be residue from the sand. I have one tank with pool filter sand in it, i like it, but it did have alot of dust to be cleaned out.

Haha! That wood will sure make it look like tea. Prob not your water then, my guess would be residue from the sand. I have one tank with pool filter sand in it, i like it, but it did have alot of dust to be cleaned out.

I hope it's the sand, I was worried that I might have had a biofilm or some kind of bacterial growth in the tank. I put some fluval water clearer in a few hours ago to see if that helps clear it a bit more.

You could do a big water change before you begin cycling, or help it settles out. Worse thing is that it's hard on your filter impellers. I just changed one on a aq 110 that looked good but I think the sand had scored it and it wouldn't catch well

I don't think so, if it's sand, it'll get better daily, if it's a bacterial growth it'll get worse, just something to watch

I've done 2 partial water changes since I filled the tank and it has helped to clear it slightly.

OK cool, I wouldn't stress over it, just watch it the next few days as you begin your cycling, like I said, it'll get better or worse and then you know

OK cool, I wouldn't stress over it, just watch it the next few days as you begin your cycling, like I said, it'll get better or worse and then you know

Will do, starting my cycle tomorrow and I've slightly heightened my filter to create a bit more surface agitation to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom