White Spots on Glass seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinRex

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,

I have had my aquarium for about 2 weeks now and have just noticed little white spots on the inside of the aquarium glass.
Would anybody know what that it?
I have read a few things on the net like ICK (which it isnt, its not ON my fish) i have read about hydra too...Im just really not sure what it is. If anyone has had this or has some information on it please let me know. Much appreciated!! :)

It won't be ick, since it is not on the fish.

It is hard to say what the spots are without more information. Perhaps you can look at it with a magnifying glass, , see if they move, feel for sliminess, try to scrape some off, etc.

Off hand guess: May be algae - very small green spot algae may look white. Hydra - possible, they should grow into little threads tho. Could be snail or fish eggs, or something inorganic like calcium deposits.

Sounds like water spots to me. Are the white spots above the water level? If so, it's probably just minerals that were left behind when the water evaporated.

No its not above the water level. Its actually growing in the glass seal inside the tank. I scratched them out but they keep re appearing. They are a white, creamy colour and round, just about the same size as a pin head. When i scraped them off they were really slimy and my guppies were eating it as i scraped it off! They do not move at all. It looks almost like how mold starts only difference is mold usually spreads and gets bigger. These are just perfect circles.

I do have a snail in the tank, its an apple snail but the aquarium guy said their eggs are large mulberry shaped.

Back
Top Bottom