white spots the appear to be eagle on the plants in my 30 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grambo89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon aquarium with a ph of 7.4 zero ammonia and nitrates. There are 3 silver dollars one emoperer catfish 3 black neon tetras and 4 neon tetras who all appear very atcive and healthy. I had read online that these white ealge are easy to remove by just wiping them off and vaccuuming them out. I was curious if anyone has had these before thanks.

Real or fake plants? What are your lights on for and I'm gonna say about your trates being 0 again... Are you sure? Maybe it's wrong and feeding the algae

But it's not an eagle that's a bird... You do mean algae right?

Theyre fake plants and this aquarium has no lights at the moment and ive checked time and again and the nitrates are zero

I've had a white growth of some sort on bogwood but not anywhere else. No lights?

I'm sorry but with fake plants there is no way you can have 0 nitrate unless your doing 100% water change everyday. It's is the stuff that is left over after all the waste and uneaten food decayed to ammonia and got changed into nitrites and then all this gets changed into nitrates. These don't disappear until you do a water change... Are you waiting for it to colour up? It takes around 5 minutes for the Nutrafin test kit but I don't know about the API. Can you take a picture of the algae?

what's an emperor catfish?
You're fully if not overstocked (depending on the type of catfish) and the silver dollars are going to grow to a good size. I would think you'd have some nitrate. What test kit are you using? if it's the API liquid test, be sure to shake and bang both nitrate bottles for 30 seconds and then add them in the right order to the tube. Then shake the tube vigorously for 60 seconds and then wait 5 mins for the result. Also what's your nitrIte reading?

Not sure what you mean by white algae? Are they thread-like and wiggle? If so they could be planaria or hydra. Or are they round? Are you sure they're not eggs of some sort? A photo would help if you can get one.

I will get a picture because ive been doing this a while and havent seen anything like this before

Your readings can tell a lot about this tank and your 10g but you should start testing your nitrites. You should take a sample of water into an lfs that uses liquid test kit and see what they get for nitrates and nitrites. That way you can see if your nitrate kit isn't working because right now apparently you have two tanks with 0 nitrates in them and no plants or very few...
You don't have one of those remove all nitrate filter and assume that it is actually working...

Back
Top Bottom