White string hanging off my plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samt1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, my tank is going well, fish a looking really good, water quality is good (done some water tests in the last 2 weeks and the numbers are looking good, at the moment, expect them to change a bit but think it's going ok). Keeping a really close eye on how much I feed them so as not to over feed them. Got a timer on the lights which comes on at 2pm and goes off at 11pm.
The only thing I have noticed is there is like a white string coming off the plants, very thin, almost looks like a spiders web, just wondering what that is if anyone knows.
My tank is a Fluval Roma 90 litre, 3 plants, dozen fish (4 guppy's, 6 neon tetra's and 2 Mollies)

Thanks in advance for any help.

What kind of plants are they? Often, roots will develop all the way up plants, at least, that's the case in my tank. It could also potentially be some hair algae. Could you get a picture of it?

What kind of plants are they? Often, roots will develop all the way up plants, at least, that's the case in my tank. It could also potentially be some hair algae. Could you get a picture of it?

Yeah I can try and get some pictures for you, that might be more helpful because I'll be honest I have no clue of what type they are :) They guy in the shop pointed me towards the right types and I just picked the ones I liked.
The two with the string stuff are non potted, I have another that is potted but that isn't suffereing from that, although I think that one isn't doing to well.

Do you have snails? Snail poo looks like a spider web.

Not that I know of, they guy at the shop said to wash the plants to try and avoid that, certainly not seen any in there but will have a look for them to see if their hiding away.

Not that I know of, they guy at the shop said to wash the plants to try and avoid that, certainly not seen any in there but will have a look for them to see if their hiding away.

Okay. =] If you don't have any snails big enough to be immediately noticeable, it's probably not snail poo. I have 2 mystery snails about 1" across.

I have a picture on my phone, you can see some of it, not the best picture in the world, if no good I will try and take a better one later.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,521
Yep... I do believe its a root. If you look at the plant, is it literally attached to the stem? You can cut it off it it bugs you, but it'll eventually get to the point where it just doesn't matter anymore because its too much work to keep doing it.

Not really.. if you're talking about the root. You can just cut part of that stem off and replant it and it will develop in to its own plant, but roots aren't even necessary to do that. They'll grow once they've been planted for a while.

I didn't mean the root, I just mean you can pop off the entire plant part that has the root and replant that. So yeah, agreeing with you there.

I took another picture which hopefully shows it up better :)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,878
Back
Top Bottom