White stuff on my BP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squall

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just noticed this white stuff sticking on the side of my BP. I'm not sure what it is. Haven't done anything yet, just did about 60% water change. Parameters are 0 ammo, 0 Nitrites and 30 Nitrates. What do you think it is?

image-2078308540.jpg

That looks like it could be ich, hopefully someone with more experience on here can help you but start looking up on how to treat it. Heat I have found very successful. Good luck :)

maestromad said:
That looks like it could be ich, hopefully someone with more experience on here can help you but start looking up on how to treat it. Heat I have found very successful. Good luck :)

I know its not ich because I already had an ich outbreak when I was cycling and the white stuff doesn't look like ich (hard to distinguish from the pic though but its bigger than ich spots). Thanks for the response.

Ich i guess.

Ich is a protozoan disease that is often called 'white spot disease.' The scientific name for the disease is ichthyophthiriasis and the causative agent is Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. It is wide spread in all freshwater fish but appears to be more common in aquarium fish, possibly due to the closer contact and stress involved with aquarium species.

It can happen due: No Appetite, Stress, Water temperature, Water quality.
It can be treated by rising the water temperature, and using salt.

Im not an expert like alot people here are, this is just what i know because i've searched about this today.

Edit: i was writing this while you said its not ich already, sorry ;p

Mumma.of.two said:
It's hard to tell from the picture but is it fuzzy or flat? It kind of looks like a scale is missing. (I'm on my phone so pics aren't that great)

It's not flat. It's hard to tell if it is missing a scale or a growth of some type. The other BP has been chasing him lately. I was also thinking of a missing scale which probably he might have hurt himself when scampering. He is also a very shy BP, he swims away really fast when he sees someone approaching the tank, so he might have scratched himself at a decor or DW. I also am thinking maybe it's a parasitic worm (just being paranoid here).

torres said:
Ich i guess.

Ich is a protozoan disease that is often called 'white spot disease.' The scientific name for the disease is ichthyophthiriasis and the causative agent is Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. It is wide spread in all freshwater fish but appears to be more common in aquarium fish, possibly due to the closer contact and stress involved with aquarium species.

It can happen due: No Appetite, Stress, Water temperature, Water quality.
It can be treated by rising the water temperature, and using salt.

Im not an expert like alot people here are, this is just what i know because i've searched about this today.

Edit: i was writing this while you said its not ich already, sorry ;p

No problem. Thanks for the response though.

It's hard to tell from the picture but is it fuzzy or flat? It kind of looks like a scale is missing. (I'm on my phone so pics aren't that great)

This would be my suspicion as well especially if he is being chased or bullied a bit. I would just watch it closely & let us know if theres any change.

This would be my suspicion as well especially if he is being chased or bullied a bit. I would just watch it closely & let us know if theres any change.

Will keep you posted. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom