who knows about LEDs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it viable to use many high intensity LEDs to cover the spectrums required by plants for lighting your tank? I realize that LEDs are VERY expensive when considering high intensity LEDs but as they begin to have more widespread use as home lighting (Luxeon's lights for example developed in conjunction with Sandia nat. lab) the costs should quickly drop. LEDs offer a far greater lifespan, less heat, and more light emission per watt consumed versus fluorescent lighting (additionally they offer more versatility in the way in which your lighting can be arranged and can be controlled for full "dimmability" whereby you could emulate a sunrise by having the voltage gradually increase for the lighting array rather than suddenly bathing the fish in bright light all of a sudden).

The real question here is: Does anyone know whether or not there are arrays of LEDs or several separate LEDs a person could utilize to cover the appropriate light spectrum for allowing plants to grow?

There is a discussion about this subject going on or just finished in the Aquatic Plants Digest. As I recall from skimming the messages it might be possible to light a tank with LEDs but it's really not ready for prime time yet.

I remember reading about this also, and how it's in development, but not cost effective yet. Sounds cool to me.

I'm going to have to get ahold of someone at the UW's astrophysics dept and see if I can get a light spectrometer from them and then start playing around with LEDs since I already have a few different colors and types of High intensity LEDs laying around from various school projects. If I ever have time to do this I'll have to report back my findings (hopefully I don't have to do this and can instead get such specs from the manufacturers but I am still waiting on email responses).

I'd think for LED that they would be able to give off light in several of the required spectrum but the question really would be the sheer cost of the appropriate LED's in an evenly distributed array... since typically MOST LED are efficient at only a specific part of the spectrum and not as wide.

Looks here for some charts on a few specific LED model numbers and the associated PAR spectrum covered.. as long as you cover the proper nanometer spectrum for the "PAR" area then everything else is pretty much for "color correction" so it is visually appealing to the eye...

http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~aphalo/old_pages/lamps.html

This one is kinda interesting too and references a few other types of bulbs and spectrums you see off of them such as a few metal halide, compact fluroescent etc... http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~aphalo/old_pages/lamps_plain.html

I think the erra of computer modding and aquarium modding are going to come to a crossroads here soon :p

It's funny I was just thinking about LED's for use as additional lighting and came across this thread. I ordered a couple off of ebay and they should arrive soon. We'll see if what I ordered is even worth the trouble. Based off of my research though LED's are a ways away from providing the necessary light for plants. Still could be an interesting solution in a couple more years. Definitely worth keeping an eye on. Maybe get a couple of the new car LED headlights that made appearances at this year autoshow. Heck if it can light a road it should work for tanks right? We'll have to see.

Back
Top Bottom