who quarentines their new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys! Just wondering if you quarantine your new fish for 2 weeks. I don't have a quarantine tank set up yet and I want to get some new fish tonight. So, who does or doesn't do it and how important do you think it is or isn't? Did that make sense? lol Well, you guys get the idea. :)

I don't have a designated QT tank yet, I have a 2.5g tank that I use to medicate if needed. I use my 10g tank with my female guppies as a QT tank. I typically keep them in QT for 3 weeks unless I see something out of the ordinary, then they stay for another few weeks. Once I get my 30g high I will use my 10g as a strictly QT/hospital tank.

I didn't QT any fish for a year, never had any problems. Then I decided to add 3 Red-eye Tetras to go with my two (at the time) Diamond Tetras. I added them to the tank the same day and within a week my dwarf gourami, pleco, two guppies and all the red-eyes were dead. My gourami was the coolest and I really miss that fish. I can't find any near the quality my original one was.

I do. but it depend on what tank I am adding to and where I get the fish from.
It is risky not to.
If you don't you take the chance (a fair chance with large chains like Petsmart, Petco, ect...) of the new fish being ill.
Best case scenerio is the new fish will be ok and nothing will happen.
From there you go to the new fish is ill or dies, you then have to treat your entire tank.
Worst case is your beloved prize fish that you are quite attached to dies. The store may refund for the one you bought but nothing will replace your favorite fish.

The size matters on what kind of fish you want to isolate.

I usually keep mine in a QT tank for a week and if i dont find anything wrong with the fish then i put it into the main tank. But if its sick or injured then i keep it in the QT tank till it is healed. But to tell the truth i usually dont use a QT tank. But it is very smart too use one and i highly reccomend it to any and everyone.

Yes i would put my first fish into a QT tank just so you can cure the fish ( if sick) and never have any sickness in your main tank.
got from another thread that i posted in. didnt feel like writing it all again.

I don't but now we have Ich in the tank I wish I did.
Unfortunately its not a practical option for us to have an extra tank

i never have in the past and have been burned... twice... (will never buy fish from petco again) i now have my first really serious tank so i will be using a 29 gallon as a quarantine from now on... i dont want to risk the fish i already have that im attached to... im gonna give em 2 weeks... if i dont see anything weird, then in the big tank theyll go

QT for sure. 2-4 weeks depending on source & health of fish. <And the real goldy/koi fanatics with hundreds/thousands dollars of fancy fish will QT for 3+ months, up to 1 year as koi viruses may only show up after overwintering & if that gets into your pond, you have to kill all fish that is in contact!>

Read around the forums & you will find lots of posts of people getting burned not QT'ing new fish.

yes. i do it for 2 weeks unless i see something odd. it's very had for me because i'm very impatient though and i really want to see the fish i selected for my main tank.

The standard for fw is 2 wks; however, I QT for 30 days as I do saltwater...no exception as the Captain said ;)

Well, I just put in some guppies and a couple cory cats. Everyone please send well wishes my way that everyone will be healthy and happy. :) I just got a 5 gallon tank that I'm going to use as a sick tank for my dwarf gourami and then I will use that for a QT. I won't buy anymore fish until I can do the quarantine thing. I'm going to eventually get a 10 gallon as a QT I think but the 5 will have to do for now. Thanks everyone!

this may seem like a stupid question, but do you quarantine new invertabrates the same as fish? or do you at all?

Back
Top Bottom