Who/what is killing my guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjmac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I have a 60 gal freshwater, which I have had for a month with no problems with disease or death until yesterday, when I found one of my 6 male guppies dead. This morning, TWO more were dead, though none had any obvious physical damage done to them so I'm not sure if they were attacked during the night.

The other fish in my tank are:
-2 Stendker discus (4 and 5 inches)
-1 peacock eel, about 5 inches
-1 black ghost knife fish, about 3 inches
-1 very small (and shy) angelfish, about 1 inch
-2 small gold nugget plecos (2 inches each)
-4 small platties
-3 remaining small male guppies

The only thing I could think that might have killed them other than another fish would be the ammonia level (which is very high at 4.0 in spite of PWCs... having a lot of trouble with cycling...) but it has been steady at this level for quite some time so it's not like this is a sudden shock to them, and even if it were why the guppies as opposed to more delicate fish like the discus or angel?

Everyone else seems happy and healthy and there have been no drastic changes in temperature or levels to warrant severe shock. None of the fish seem particularly aggressive except maybe the discus, but I have never seen them actually nip anyone (mostly just flash colors) and they don't even seem to notice that the guppies exist.

Any input on who/what the culprit might be?? Any feedback would be appreciated.

With the Ammonia at that level I would expect them all to die at some point. You really need to continue to do PWC's back to back until you get that ammonia level below .25 ppm. I recently went through the same thing. Had an ammo spike and the first fish to die were my guppies. Luckily I got it under control, with a lot of work, and only lost the two fish. You are probably going to have to continue to do massive PWC's daily until your tank is completely cycled.

The only thing I could think that might have killed them other than another fish would be the ammonia level (which is very high at 4.0 in spite of PWCs... having a lot of trouble with cycling...)

This is a big problem, more if it is long standing.

Aspencer said:
This is a big problem, more if it is long standing.

+1
IMO you don't need to worry about which fish could be the killer, even if there is one. The problem in your tank is the incomplete cycle. In other words, the levels of ammonia, I also would say that you fish maybe look happy but they are not for sure. Remember ammonia at any level is a poison for the fish. You have a high level of ammonia (4ppm), which will eventually kill all your fish.

My suggestion is to do immediate big PWC, at least 75%, one in the morning, and the next one in the afternoon, this should drop your ammonia to a manageable level, then you need to read daily and keep the water changes as needed, to maintain ammonia as close to 0 ppm or 0.25 ppm maximum.

The killer or your fish is the ammonia.

When you get your cycling trouble behind you, it's time to rethink that stock list. I would start by removing the Black ghost knife and eel since they get to large for your tank.

Sorry to hear you have expensive fish (discus) that are going to die or live a very short life.

Thanks for the feedback all... *most* of it was constructive and I do appreciate those who contributed in a positive way. It's nice to know that some people are willing to offer advice to a newbie who is trying her best to get her tank started.

I think that's it as far as seeking forum help for me. Thanks again and I wish you the best of luck with your pets.

sjmac said:
Thanks for the feedback all... *most* of it was constructive and I do appreciate those who contributed in a positive way. It's nice to know that some people are willing to offer advice to a newbie who is trying her best to get her tank started.

I think that's it as far as seeking forum help for me. Thanks again and I wish you the best of luck with your pets.

I agree that most was constructive. Some was unneeded IMO.

I agree that you need to keep up on water changes and read up on in fish cycling as much as you can.

Then you probably need to look at the stocking.

I say to stay on the forum and ask any questions you have. This is supposed to be a forum where everyone is welcome, and to me, you are. So, stick around and you'll learn tons. I started out knowing absolutely nothing, and now I give people advice they need. It's wonderful to see people's knowledge grow.

Hey, before you leave, don't worry that it was necessarily your fault. My parameters are good (0 ammonia) and I'm still experiencing an unexplained guppy die-off. I think that the stock is really bad lately.

Rosenweiss said:
Hey, before you leave, don't worry that it was necessarily your fault. My parameters are good (0 ammonia) and I'm still experiencing an unexplained guppy die-off. I think that the stock is really bad lately.

Exactly. I did a fishless cycle, but got a batch of weak guppies. All but one of six guppies died. I restocked the guppies, and now they're doing fine. But guppies, especially the really pretty ones, are fragile, because of inbreeding to get those colors.

Please keep this thread on topic, and civil. Flaming, rude, and hateful comments will not be tolerated.

Thanks for keeping the peace mfd. Good work. :]

Anyways, for what it's worth, I've lost three guppies in the past week... And that's with good parameters. It's a sad thing, so I can commiserate.

As the other ladies have said, keep trying to get that ammonia down and keep us posted on your progress. Contrary to what you may have just experienced, there are indeed helpful, knowledgeable people on these forums that care and wish to help you.

Good luck! I truly hope the best for you and your fish.

Can you get some ammonia block and some tank starter bacteria to put in there after the large partial water change?

When I started my tank I didn't know what I didn't know and put 10 guppies in my 20 gallon tank after it had been up for three days. I went to a lfs (local fish store) and he helped me out with the liquid bacteria. It really kept the ammonia down to under .25 ppm while it still cycled. It only cycled once, and I didn't lose any of my guppies.

Hope that helps and keeps you from losing any more fish!

tetra safestart - I'd buy some if I were you. It's a lifesaver.. I put some of this in my 10 gal and I never once had an ammonia spike....

if you had all these fish for jus a month thats problem you have to get ill say like 5 fish at first than wait a month then get more

Back
Top Bottom