Whoops (cleaning chemical related)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follicle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I got a new gravel vacuum today (my old one is cracked). When I got it home, I noticed that for packaging purposes, they used scotch tape to tape the end of tube to the vacuum. When I took the tape off, it left some really nasty adhesive on the side.

So, without even thinking, I applied some "Goo Gone" to the side to clean it off. Then it occurred to me, that it might not be good to place something that's been cleaned with a chemical like that into the water.

I wiped it down with warm water really well. Do you think this will be a problem or am I just being paranoid? I just know how people are when it comes to get any kind household of cleaning chemicals into the tank (especially when the label says "harmful or fatal if swallowed!").

Worst case, I guess I just get a new vacuum.

If you rinsed with water shortly after applying the Goo-Gone I wouldn't be too worried. If it sat overnight and is really crusted on there I might consider ditching it or at least replacing the tubing.

Is it the tube or the vacuum part? If it is the tubing then a quick trip to Home Depot, and a couple bucks, would get you a whole new (custom length) tube. HTH. :)

Back
Top Bottom