Who's killing my swordtails ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tampa

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my tanks, a 55 gallon has 2 medium size3d Angels, 6 smaller sizede angels, 2 clown loaches,2 syno catfish and 2 smaller sized black sharks with red fins, NOT the aggressive ones.
I wanted to add some live bearers in order to supply the angels with live food and decided on brick red swordtails. I purchased a trio and at the end of the first day a male and a female perished. I went out a few days later and bought a pair and once again the new pair were gone by the following day. A few days later I tried again and bought another pair and once again by the next day they too were missing. The only sword tail that is still in the tank from the 7 that I bought is one of the females from the original trio. I know that swordtails have a tendency to jump out of the tank, however these "missing" swords did not jump out.
Does anyone have any idea as to who is killing the swords ???
I haven't lost any other fish in the tank
The water poarameters are perfect in the tank
Why would one of the original trio still be alive and all the others gone?
Thanks for your input

QT = quarantine tank. He is asking if you quarantined them prior to adding them to your tank. You would want to QT new fish so that you can observe their behavior and check for any signs of disease or parasites.

My guess would be your angels are eating the swords. My large koi angelfish (~6" from top to bottom of fins) has eaten a ton of fry and now he even eats full adult male guppies. I had 5 male guppies last week, and when I got back from being out of town last weekend and I only had 4. Basically whenever I skip feedings he will try to eat anything that can fit in his mouth.

I agree with Steve. With that stocklist (very heavy) in a 55, they are probably harassed to death and then consumed.

Back
Top Bottom