Why am I getting Ammonia spikes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay it could be a mini cycle in the 5 gallon,
Or the bioload could be too much for that filter, I know pea puffers don't get big but it's recommended at least a 10 gallon aquarium I would get a bigger filter or *** a small sponge filter to help, I'm thinking a mini cycle.

I was thinking the mini cycle Too for the 5 gallon, it’s the only thing that seems to make sense to me, I’m going to put the puffer in a breeders net in my 29 gallon tank for the meantime and if it happens to pass I’m debating just taking the 5 gallon down

Looks like your ammonia is at .50 after the water change??? I would say your ammonia was probably around 1 ppm before you did...say...a 50% water change. That would leave your ammonia at .50. I think you should probably do a couple of large water changes without a gravel vac if you've already done it. Allow around 6 hours between the changes. Test the water tomorrow and see where it's at.

Looks like your ammonia is at .50 after the water change??? I would say your ammonia was probably around 1 ppm before you did...say...a 50% water change. That would leave your ammonia at .50. I think you should probably do a couple of large water changes without a gravel vac if you've already done it. Allow around 6 hours between the changes. Test the water tomorrow and see where it's at.

Yeah I think that’s the only way to solve the problem is just to continue to do water changes

It's unknown how high your ammonia was before your water change. You could have just cut in half an already high reading with just one water change. You will probably have to start doing 50% water changes once a week rather than once every two weeks after you get the tanks back on track.

It's unknown how high your ammonia was before your water change. You could have just cut in half an already high reading with just one water change. You will probably have to start doing 50% water changes once a week rather than once every two weeks after you get the tanks back on track.

Thank you I’ll just continue to do that and hopefully they both get back on track soon

Back
Top Bottom