why are fish MORE shy in smaller tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
i've noticed that alot of schooling fish (silver dollars especially) are MORE skittish and shy in "smaller" tanks, compared to larger tanks.

Why is this?
(I would have thought being in closer proximity to their friends would make them more comfortable)

also, would keeping a larger school compensate for this shyness?

There isn't as much room to move around in and escape from any problems that may arise. They know they will be easier to catch (whether it be by predators, aggressors, nets, etc.) when there's less room and there isn't as many hiding places.

Silver dollars get pretty large. What size tank do you have them in?

Due to security issues. The more secure they feel, the more they will come out. In smaller tanks, they are much less secure.

I noticed this with my yoyo's. I originally had two and they were never out, always lying on the bottom in there caves and hiding places.

I find loaches really interesting and they are my favourite fish in the tank, so i bought a third one to hopefully liven them up a bit. That and a lot more shade or cover has been introduced with more plants and also some sand, i heard they love sand so i bought some and there always out and about.

I would love to get a 55 gal or bigger though so i could see them in a bigger group and happier.

Back
Top Bottom