Why are my fish almost always in hiding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 4 tetras, 1 pleco, and 1 guppy (the other 2 died :( ). They're always hiding behind rocks, plants, and the filter. What gives? Is this normal?

How big is the aquarium? How much cover do you have?

One reason might be that tetras are schooling fish, add more and they should feel safer and come out more.

My 10-Gallon fish are quite timid (2 Gangetic Loaches, 1 Pleco). They hide behind my holey rocks all the time... I imagine this is probably due to the size of the aquarium. The same applies in your case (12 Gallon, no?). Good to see that you haven't overstocked the tank, or that it's not presently overstocked!! But, in a tank that size, I think fish often get skittish, and aware that they have nowhere to go in case of attack. I think RMA's suggestion will help, and I think that it will also help if you move more quietly and slowly around the tank, if you want to see the fish. I've noticed that mine come out when they think I'm not there.

My cardinal tetras would never come out of hiding, and I spent quite a bit of time in front of the tank. I bought more, thinking that would do the trick...no good. I arranged more hiding places, and saw them even less. I just think they're small timid fish and to them I'm a big fish that wants to eat them. However, if I sat really still in front of my tank, after five minutes or so they would start swimming around. As soon as I moved, they shot back into their hiding spots. I think the only tetras that don't hide are the ones without hiding spots :twisted: .

Back
Top Bottom