why are MY fish so stupid?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Megalofyia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Now I'm not really sure that they are just stupid or suicidal - but I'm leaning towards stupid cause they are in a nice clean tank with food.

I have tiger barbs and buenes aires tetras in a tank with a blue crawdad. Things have been going really nicely till I noticed the other day that some of the fish have been nipped in there back tails and it doesn't look like something they'd do to each other. It's the crawdad's fault.

Now I realize he is just doing what comes naturally but the fish really are asking for it.

I then noticed that the baby tigar barb is missing so I've been watching the tank better cause I know that the crawdad is well fed.

This is where the stupid comes in. I SAW the fish swim into his open claws ?!?!?!?!? Why? What is their problem? It was such a happy tank till they decided to start playing daring games.

Playing chicken with a crawdad? Yeah, not too smart. My tigers seem to have a mob mentality. If one swims into the glass, the rest will follow! I don't think any of them will win any awards for fish intelligence! :roll:

Hope your fishies learn their lesson!

They are the most curious fish in more ways than one. They are also fearless. They will not stop until they are gone. By the way the one you watched go through the claw did he make it?

There were two that tried this stunt, and I am assuming the others with the nipped fins too that tried this.

When *I* watch they made it but barely. The bigger tigers are fine no nipped fins.. so maybe maturity comes with age.

I have nothing intelligent to add except that the issue of stupid fishes in nature is often resolved by them being culled. Seems that your crawdad is good at culling :mrgreen:

Well the situation seems to be helped by the addition of ghost shrimp... but I have a feeling this could end up being a rather expensive solution in the long run.

So, I'll be boring and practical again... I imagine the fish are this stupid coz crawdads don't exist in their natural environment. But that's just a guess. And since fish don't tend to *learn* I'm not at all surprised that they're constantly going back for more.

Actually, I'm glad you posted this, as I'm getting some blue crayfish on Monday (shipped), and have be contemplating tankmate alternatives. Interestingly enough, I came to the conclusion that Tiger Barbs would be perfect. But I'm thinking hatchetfish might be better now, since they always stay at the surface. Do the larger barbs die, or just get nipped?

Oh, BTW. My LFS sold a blue crayfish for $35 to a guy around here who hadn't done his research. It killed all his fish. Urg. He didn't even stop to think that something with large claws could do that much damage!

The larger barbs are untouched. It's just the two smaller barbs that are stupid.

$35 dollars for a blue crawdad? Did it have gold plating or something? That is expensive.

Honestly, I think it has to do with species. There are a lot of species of blue crayfish out there, and some are neater than others. I don't know if you saw my post a couple of weeks ago about them, but I saw a phenomenal specimen of the Australian Blue Lobster at a great petstore--6 inches long and as blue as ink. I loved it. If I could, I'd set up a tank for that specimen only. I believe it cost $50, but I can't remember. Not really a bad price for the size! Also, check out www.liveaquaria.com's blue lobsters. They all go for $35+.

How large are your barbs--smaller and larger ones?

He he. And if they were gold plated, it would kinda suck when they molted!!

Feh. If they were goldplated they'd be close to extinct, cause all the yo-boys around here would be wearing em around their necks!

I've noticed a lot of the blue crawfish in the lfs lately...has there been a run on them or something?

Yeah, they've certainly grown in popularity. They're a relatively new addition to the aquarium hobbyist's world, I think.... In the last few months I've seen them in a lot of places (most notably at Petsmart for a mere $8 each!). I was hitting myself for not buying them! But, then again, they might have been the huge variety (Cherax spp.) which grow to a foot! Great for eating, horrendous for aquaria! Liveaquaria.com recommends a 50 gallon aquarium for the brute. I'd advise nothing under 300! A foot long!

I guess if compatibility becomes a problem with mine, I can always do what they do at the supermarkets and put rubber bands around the claws! Would feel bad about that, though.

Back
Top Bottom