why are my serpae tetra.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

datkidkevin

Aquarium Advice Activist
why are my 4 serpae tetras nipping all of my fishes fins they hurting on my angel and my betta...help b4 i flush them...lol

They are one of the nippiest tetra species. They are doing that because it's natural behavior. Adding a few more might help somewhat if you have the room.

You made a mistake by putting serpea tetras with long fined fish they will nip at them till they have no fins left getting atleat 4 more will take some of the nipping away but they will still nip

It also looks like you've got a very crowded tank. You'd be best off by either upgrading to a larger tank or rehoming the angel. The angel will eat your neons when it gets larger.

I had 5 Serpae that were nipping all my other fish , I added a couple of more to the shoal and now they only nip each other and leave the other fish alone .

its a 30 gal tank ....should i add like 2 or 3 one by one to see if they stop?...and if they dont.....? and i was told that serpae were great match for angelfish..

So... how much do you trust their advice now? j/k

LFS employees often don't know and worst case are biased towards sales.

I had a school of 6 of these guys and didn't notice aggression, but I also didn't have long finned fish, so you have 2 choices:
Get enough to make a proper school so their nipping behaviors can be re distributed amongst themselves.
Bring them back to your lfs for a credit and some better advice.
IMO flushing is NOT and should NEVER be an option.

I had a school of 6 of these guys and didn't notice aggression, but I also didn't have long finned fish, so you have 2 choices:
Get enough to make a proper school so their nipping behaviors can be re distributed amongst themselves.
Bring them back to your lfs for a credit and some better advice.
IMO flushing is NOT and should NEVER be an option.
+1

so what would be a good school size?? the smaller the better like i said i got 4 already

I found 7 to be a decent sized school of serpaes . Liked I stated before I had 5 and they were nipping at the other fish in my community tank . I added two more , which brought their shoal to seven , and now they only nip at each other and ignore the other fish . But your 10 gal. tank is already heavily stocked , I would say your best bet would be to try taking them back to your LFS for a store credit . Even if you add to their school , there is not a lot of room in the 10 gal. for all of the fish in there , and they may still continue to nip at the other fish .

What is the EXACT fish in the tank? The reason everyone is saying 10g is because of what it says on your my tanks. If you have only the fish it says under your my tanks then you have room and i would either add more (probably 4 more) or go trade them in.

Back
Top Bottom