Why are Neon Tetras so hard to keep ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a mix of Neon's and Cardianls as schooling fish for my RAM's, as the above posts said, always QT them, thought I use Paraguard on them and just do a 5 day QT.
They should last a good while with proper care and water parameters.

Cardinals water parameters are closer to my Discus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cardinals water parameters are closer to my Discus.

I agree, they are a better choice for a discus aquarium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

To give an update on this old post, Saturday I finally bought 10 awesome Cardinals, on Sunday I did my routine water change about 60% that night about 9 Cardinal were floaters !!! Did some research and this fish can't tolerate the Excel. Lesson learned !!! I just though I share this.

To give an update on this old post, Saturday I finally bought 10 awesome Cardinals, on Sunday I did my routine water change about 60% that night about 9 Cardinal were floaters !!! Did some research and this fish can't tolerate the Excel. Lesson learned !!! I just though I share this.

Are you sure it's the excel that killed them? Because I have 25 cardinal tetras and I dose excel as well.

I've been dosing excel at moderate levels and my cards and neons are doing fine..

I used excel with cardinals, rummynose, and discus for a couple of years while I had that tank set up. Never had any problems.

Are you getting all the tetras from the same store?

Im pretty sure it was the Excel I don't think it was the Prime also I bought 2 Blue Dimonds they're doing good !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any suggestions are welcome !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's not Prime, but that doesn't mean that it's the excel either. Correlation does not necessarily mean causation. You could just be getting poor stock, it happens.

I could be confused here but are we talking about using prime and excel at the sane time??

How often are you doing water changes? I read earlier in the thread they went 17 days without food. If you go too long without water changes then do a massive water change the PH change alone could put them belly-up.

I change my water every Sunday that's why I use the Excel and Prime the same day, but not at the same time. I don't have too many fish stores soo im stock with mostly Petco maybe I had a spike in my tank at the same time, I did check my levels and were ok.

It says on the excel bottle not to dose within 12/24 hrs of using prime.. That could have something to do with it???

Really **** I never read that, you make me think...

Yes, than if you check seachem fert dosing calendar it will have you skip an excel dose on wc(prime) days.. Something to do with oxygen exchange I believe..

I just read both bottles, they don't mention that.

Back
Top Bottom