Why are Neon Tetras so hard to keep ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I might never going to know what happened. The tank seems healthy, all the other fish look good. Soo who knows it sucks tho...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The 18 Neons I have now are 6 months + in my tank and all are doing great. BUT, I had about a 40% mortality rate to get these 18 healthy ones. Is just weak stock and bad handling. I bought 10 Rummys from our Petco and all 10 died in a week. I ordered 12 from The Wet spot in Oregon and not one died. Still going after 7 months with them. So where you buy does make a difference. I gave up buying fish from both Petco and Petsmart. Sorry for your loss. OS.

Thx I don't know if I give up on this or try one more time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

neons

neons are not used to the higher temps, as are cardinals are better suited for a disus tank can handle the higher temps required for a growing disus higher temp 82 _ 84 for 3 inch disus

rummys are great to have in a discus tank good gage for ph if there noses are a nice red all is well if it faded you have a ph problem

Well after the loss of the Cardinals I went and bought about 23 Neons about a week ago and guess what I still have 23 Neons... I think I had a spike of maybe nitrate I did clean my filters recharge the Purigen and vacuum my gravel. So far no loss.

I cycled my dirted planted 55 with 20 neons 5 albino 1 is mia cant find him all are thriving gradually raised to 82 degrees over a week to get ready for my new batch of discus the neons have adjusted well discus are 3 inch so as far as appetizers for them. they will grow with them and not be a problem. my neons are over an inch now . also a heavily planted tank helps with all the bad chems in water I do 15 percent a week water change in my 55 all are happy

I really like the look the neons bring to the tank.

Attachments

• 1394503024301.jpg
    1394503024301.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom