Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I am trying to figure out why nobody likes lyretail killifish. They are colorful and really really interesting looking fish, good in a community, and not hard to care for.

Seriously, how do you people NOT like a fish that looks like this?
Lol they look like something a kid draws when they try and draw a fish hahaa odd looking

Old 07-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So, your thread inspired me to purchase a trio of killis. I've been waiting and waiting, and now I have them thanks to you.

CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatoeSc View Post
So, your thread inspired me to purchase a trio of killis. I've been waiting and waiting, and now I have them thanks to you.
I'm glad to spread the joys of killi ownership What kind did you get?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie05 View Post
I have four or five that are atleast 3 years old and doing fine although after a year their color fades.My dad raises the off and on all the time.He starts with about 8 to 10 in a 20 gallon short tank.After keeping them well fed after about A month he drops the water to half tank puts in four trimmed down mop heads raises temp to close to 89 90 degrees and lowers water to half again,keeps tank dark for five to eight days then leaves light on three day straight and drains half water of again for one dAy.Then takes out any who survived and lets them retire in 225 gallon with what looks to be a hundred friends.drains rest of water pulls mop heads out lets them dry out for six weeks then shakes off loose eggs to sale and another week or two hatches eggs that didn't fall from the mops usually gets 200 or more babies and sales them off locally or seperates to spawn with others strains.He can never have enough eggs as the last I knew he had four hatcheries that have standing orders.
Wow..quite the system.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have had tried keep these guys twice. Got them from a local lfs located about 2 hrs away from home. Paid a small fortune for them, they just never did well and died within a few weeks. Went back to the lfs, got another pair, both died within a month.
They are gorgeous little things, the males really are as stunning as your pic, the females are very dull compared to the males, but most places only sell them paired or in a harem. I dont know why I had such bad luck with them, maybe it was bad stock, or just me. Who knows.
They are pretty, but they were very shy and just didnt do well for me.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I am trying to figure out why nobody likes lyretail killifish. They are colorful and really really interesting looking fish, good in a community, and not hard to care for.

Seriously, how do you people NOT like a fish that looks like this?
Wow I want some of these. Whats the info on them. Ie- tank size, groups, that kinda stuff
Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
Wow I want some of these. Whats the info on them. Ie- tank size, groups, that kinda stuff

I wouldn't keep them in less than a 20g aquarium. They prefer a lower pH 7 or below with a temp in the mid 70s and stocking them 2f per 1m seems to give the best results. A tight fitting lid is good as well because they are jumpers. My first female jumped out of the tank and died
Old 07-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I wouldn't keep them in less than a 20g aquarium. They prefer a lower pH 7 or below with a temp in the mid 70s and stocking them 2f per 1m seems to give the best results. A tight fitting lid is good as well because they are jumpers. My first female jumped out of the tank and died
Where could I order them from? Aquabid? What if I want 100 of them? 66 females and 33 males to keep the 2f:1m ratio. What would the tank size need to be? Are they hidders? Are they friendly community fish?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
Where could I order them from? Aquabid? What if I want 100 of them? 66 females and 33 males to keep the 2f:1m ratio. What would the tank size need to be? Are they hidders? Are they friendly community fish?
Any that I have ever kept have been model citizens in my community tank. I keep them with GBR, guppies, plecos, harlequin rasboras, and swordtails. While they aren't super active; the ones I've had are usually visible. As for keeping 100 of them *shrug* give it a try and let us know how it works out.

For tank size I would do 20g or bigger as a DT stocking as a normal community tank; with as little as a 10g for breeding purposes.

I would add that at one point I had a single male kept alone which kept trying to breed with a female guppy. Keeping females around would be a good idea.

They aren't a common fish for some reason and information on them is slim when you come by it.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Heres a pic of my Orange spotless lyretail killi

Old 07-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

Any that I have ever kept have been model citizens in my community tank. I keep them with GBR, guppies, plecos, harlequin rasboras, and swordtails. While they aren't super active; the ones I've had are usually visible. As for keeping 100 of them *shrug* give it a try and let us know how it works out.

For tank size I would do 20g or bigger as a DT stocking as a normal community tank; with as little as a 10g for breeding purposes.

I would add that at one point I had a single male kept alone which kept trying to breed with a female guppy. Keeping females around would be a good idea.

They aren't a common fish for some reason and information on them is slim when you come by it.
Many killis aren't found in the wild anymore. Killi keepers tend to be pretty picky and try not to cross breed species because of this. I would recommend a single species to a tank or learn which ones might not try to interbreed.

That said, in no killi geek... My male died on me! I'm setting up a SW tank for my son to replace his 10 gallon. Once I do that, I'm going to set up his 10 gallon to breed some killis and another 10 gallon to breed some Apistos.
CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

i was just reading an article in tropical fish hobbyist and it was all about collecting killifish in africa. they ended up finding one that they hadnt found in years and thought it was extinct i thought it was pretty interesting

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com