Why are these fish soo unpopular?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am trying to figure out why nobody likes lyretail killifish. They are colorful and really really interesting looking fish, good in a community, and not hard to care for.

Seriously, how do you people NOT like a fish that looks like this?

A.+australe+orange+-1.jpg

Their just not commonly found and their short life cycle puts some people off. I've kept Rachovii killifish and it's the same thing. Not easy to find and short life.

I am trying to figure out why nobody likes lyretail killifish. They are colorful and really really interesting looking fish, good in a community, and not hard to care for.

Seriously, how do you people NOT like a fish that looks like this?

My LFS sells Australian Killifish, idk if they are the same but they look similar. Anyways, they sell them for $15 so its pretty expensive for a fish that doesnt live long.

The australe killifish is the longest lived killifish. Much longer than others.

Oh ok. They looked similar to the one in the pic up there, and i didn't do any research on it so I had no idea. Sorry about that!

There is a incorrect perception that kilifish will only live for a year or so because of the "annual" added to their name. They are called annuals because of how they live and die in their natural habitat.

They are very unique in that they live in shallow pools that dry up during part of the year. Before the pool dries up, they lay their eggs, which (at least for most kilis) can stay vital inside relatively moist soil and "gunk" until the rainy season refills the pool, at which time they hatch. Many people actually buy and sell these guys through eggs rather than live fish because of this. You buy eggs, put them in a prepped aquarium, and boom - you've got kilifish! Kinda like glorified sea-monkeys :)

In the aquarium, these guys will live longer than a year, though. They can live 2 to 4 years, depending on the type of kili and the conditions. They aren't for beginners, but they are interesting. I recommend a dedicated aquarium with low light. I'm sure they would be okay, but I wouldn't imagine they would thrive in a high-tech planted aquarium with high lights.

im building an aquarium back ground like the movie AVATAR and i putting in the killis in as dragons. and some other blue fish for the avatar peoplehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE0fqwR4doA

That is a beautiful fish. I would buy it.I feel that convict cichlids are beautiful but underrated.

I had one of these a while back, they are great little fish! They like to hide a lot. Mine lived about a year and seemed very happy in my planted community tank.

i think its cool how if you breed rainbow nothos your suppose to dry up the eggs for 3-4 months then rehydrate them i know they only live a year on average and lose their color really fast but they are so cool! i cant find any in my area though ive been keeping an eye out since i read an article about breeding them about six months ago but still no luck

I think they're stunning and I'd love one, but I've never actually seen them in shops, and the common idea about their lifespans put me off as well. After reading what CatoeSc wrote though I might have to do some more widespread searching!

I have four or five that are atleast 3 years old and doing fine although after a year their color fades.My dad raises the off and on all the time.He starts with about 8 to 10 in a 20 gallon short tank.After keeping them well fed after about A month he drops the water to half tank puts in four trimmed down mop heads raises temp to close to 89 90 degrees and lowers water to half again,keeps tank dark for five to eight days then leaves light on three day straight and drains half water of again for one dAy.Then takes out any who survived and lets them retire in 225 gallon with what looks to be a hundred friends.drains rest of water pulls mop heads out lets them dry out for six weeks then shakes off loose eggs to sale and another week or two hatches eggs that didn't fall from the mops usually gets 200 or more babies and sales them off locally or seperates to spawn with others strains.He can never have enough eggs as the last I knew he had four hatcheries that have standing orders.

Back
Top Bottom