Why are they dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ForTheLoveOfFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I buy fish in 3s,

And since I've had my tank, one of the three fish die.

I had 3 dragonhead guppies, 1 died
3 glow light guppies, 1 died
3 lyretail mollies , 1 died
3 silver mollies, 1 died
14 baby mollies, 1 died
3 glass catfish, all alive.

I buy fish in 3s,

And since I've had my tank, one of the three fish die.

I had 3 dragonhead guppies, 1 died
3 glow light guppies, 1 died
3 lyretail mollies , 1 died
3 silver mollies, 1 died
14 baby mollies, 1 died
3 glass catfish, all alive.

Have you been adding conditioner? Do you have a filter? And a heater? And are there any fish in your tank that are aggressive?

What size is the tank? How long has it been set up and was it cycled? How are you acclimating your fish when you add them to the tank? How long after you add them to the tank are they dying? What is your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? What is your Ph?

I've only added conditioner when I change the water. It's a 65-85g tank. And I've had the dragon heads for almost 2 months now, and I haven't tested my water and haven't ever cycled my tank. There are no aggressive fish in my tank. I have 2 70g filters and 2 air stones.

I have taken all my advice from an experienced aquarist (25 years) and he told me that I shouldn't have to worry about ph levels and nitrates and nitrites because the tank will eventually balance itself out.

I have a heater yes.

Also I don't see why the levels have any effect because some of the very first fish I got for the tank are still alive. It has been set up since feb 1

I float them for 30-45 minutes then add same amount of my tank water to equal the water in the bag and let it sit for 15. Then I let the fish free.

I've only added conditioner when I change the water. It's a 65-85g tank. And I've had the dragon heads for almost 2 months now, and I haven't tested my water and haven't ever cycled my tank. There are no aggressive fish in my tank. I have 2 70g filters and 2 air stones.

I have taken all my advice from an experienced aquarist (25 years) and he told me that I shouldn't have to worry about ph levels and nitrates and nitrites because the tank will eventually balance itself out.

I have a heater yes.

Also I don't see why the levels have any effect because some of the very first fish I got for the tank are still alive. It has been set up since feb 1

Your fish are dying because your tank wasn't cycled and the ammonia/nitrIte poisoning eventually killed them. Once your tank is cycled new fish you add to your tank should be fine.

ForLove - how often do you change your water and how much? I suggest you test your water to see what your water parameters are - ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. It will give both you and us more information to determine your problem.

While what the person told you is true the cost of your tank balancing out is killing your fish.

What your tank is going through right now is the cycling process. Your filter is growing benificial bacteria that converts your fishes waste into something like fertilizer. Poop is the ammonia source and then it breaks it down into nitrItes and then nitrAtes(plant food)

But since it doesnt have enough bacteria its converting these things slowly. And ammonia and nitrItes are very toxic to your fish. Which is why your losing them. If you dont want to lose anymore fish you should invest in a testing kit. I would suggest doing more water changes also. Diluting these toxins with fresh water frequently will increase the chances that your fish will live.

I do 20% water changes every week or two. I'm going to buy a test kit today and update you guys with the feedback.

Smaller fish can be very sensitive because their size so will often die while larger fish are fine. As others have said you just need be careful about ph and nitrate/nitrite and ammonia

To keep fish healthy a 25-50% water change once a week is suggested and even more when your going through the cycling process. Once we know your parameters we can help you further :),

Thanks! I'm working on getting some cash together for a test kit. So I guess I'm going to need to do a fish-in cycle once I figure out my parameters?

Correct. Its a little more work but well worth it :) I did it with my goldfish. Until you get your testing kit just do small water changes everyday or every otherday to keep the toxin levels low

I've deleted a significant number of posts for being rude and generally unhelpful. Please don't post if you don't feel you can contribute in a positive manner to the OP's problems.

Correct. Its a little more work but well worth it :) I did it with my goldfish. Until you get your testing kit just do small water changes everyday or every otherday to keep the toxin levels low

+1 on this. I would love to help you to make sure you have happy healthy fish. When everything is going good with your tank I know you will love it! It's a great hobby to have!

Back
Top Bottom