Why can't saltwater lights be used in freshwater aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can use it for fw... but, as the title of the product page says, it has actinic bulbs, which do nothing for planted tanks... if you want a blue fish only tank, go for it. If you want plants, you'll need to swap out bulbs.

You can use it for fw... but, as the title of the product page says, it has actinic bulbs, which do nothing for planted tanks... if you want a blue fish only tank, go for it. If you want plants, you'll need to swap out bulbs.
So, it casts a blue light? What bulbs could be used to make it normal-colored?

Most of the time light fixtures that are advertised for saltwater is because of the bulbs. The particular fixture that your looking at has an actinic bulb (blue) and an 8,000K or 10,000K bulb (high cool white). These bulbs emit light that is more suited for marine tanks because it brings out the colors of the fish and help coral growth. You can buy the fixture and easily replace the bulbs that are more suited for freshwater like 6500K - 6700K bulbs and or color bulbs in the red spectrum.

Most of the time light fixtures that are advertised for saltwater is because of the bulbs. The particular fixture that your looking at has an actinic bulb (blue) and an 8,000K or 10,000K bulb (high cool white). These bulbs emit light that is more suited for marine tanks because it brings out the colors of the fish and help coral growth. You can buy the fixture and easily replace the bulbs that are more suited for freshwater like 6500K - 6700K bulbs and or color bulbs in the red spectrum.
I understand. Now, can anyone tell me which bulbs would be more suited for freshwater tanks that fit this light?

I use saltwater bulbs on my Cichlid tank. ATI bulbs. 2 aquablue specials, 1 purple plus and 1 blue plus. It's a Solarmax extreme. 4 bulb T5 HO.

I love the lights and the fixture.

View attachment 86124

Last edited:
phoenixkiller said:
I understand. Now, can anyone tell me which bulbs would be more suited for freshwater tanks that fit this light?

If your going with fish only for that light fixture you will need one or two 28watt color max bulbs from Coralife or one 28 watt color max bulb and one 28watt 6700K bulb. The color max bulb tends to bring out the freshwater fish's color while the 6700K bulb is natural day light. If your going to have live plants then I suggest to go with 6700K bulbs.

If your going with fish only for that light fixture you will need one or two 28watt color max bulbs from Coralife or one 28 watt color max bulb and one 28watt 6700K bulb. The color max bulb tends to bring out the freshwater fish's color while the 6700K bulb is natural day light. If your going to have live plants then I suggest to go with 6700K bulbs.
Can I just use one bulb for it for a small amount of time?

If you mean just replace one bulb then yeah. If you don't have any plants you can go with what ever is aesthetically pleasing to you.

This is what I use, Solarmax Deepblue. Have 3 total on my 150 planted. 2 36" HO and 1 48" HO.
Don't remember if your tank is planted or not..

There is also a HE model which is less watts
Amazon.com: Db Solarmaxhe2 Double T5 10000k Strip W/led 48": Pet Supplies

The bulbs I use are
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Glo-II-F...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1333249879&sr=1-1

As long as you change out the bulbs you should be fine. If you aren't growing plants than you can get away with running just 1 bulb if you want.

This is what I use, Solarmax Deepblue. Have 3 total on my 150 planted. 2 36" HO and 1 48" HO.
Don't remember if your tank is planted or not..

There is also a HE model which is less watts
Amazon.com: Db Solarmaxhe2 Double T5 10000k Strip W/led 48": Pet Supplies

The bulbs I use are
Amazon.com: Life-Glo II Fluorescent Bulb T5, 39 Watts - 34 inches, fits 36" light: Pet Supplies

As long as you change out the bulbs you should be fine. If you aren't growing plants than you can get away with running just 1 bulb if you want.
Ok, what I want to do is order the light fixture, then order a Colormax bulb. I will replace the actinic bulb with the Colormax bulb, and leave in the high white glow bulb. Is there any flaws with my plans?

As long as you aren't wanting plants that will work. I don't recall the K temps on colormax though so it may be fine. If plants aren't in the plans then any white bulbs will work.

phoenixkiller said:
Ok, what I want to do is order the light fixture, then order a Colormax bulb. I will replace the actinic bulb with the Colormax bulb, and leave in the high white glow bulb. Is there any flaws with my plans?

That will work fine. The color max bulb I think is in the red spectrum that will help bring out your fish's colors. The high white bulb is probably a 8000K or 10000K bulb, the only little problem I've seen using them is that certain fish don't like the really bright lights and will hide all day. You may decide later to either stick with a 8000K, replace it with 6700K natural daylight or another color max, it really all depends on how you want your tank to look.

That will work fine. The color max bulb I think is in the red spectrum that will help bring out your fish's colors. The high white bulb is probably a 8000K or 10000K bulb, the only little problem I've seen using them is that certain fish don't like the really bright lights and will hide all day. You may decide later to either stick with a 8000K, replace it with 6700K natural daylight or another color max, it really all depends on how you want your tank to look.
No, yeah, I will only have the high white bulb for about a month, then I will order a natural daylight bulb (when I have the money). I would order both a Colormax AND a natural daylight bulb, but those bulbs are really expensive!

Try your LFS they might have them cheaper. I have a lot of stores to choose from so that's how I usually find fish supply's cheap.

No, I'm saying if you are buying new, why not buy the fixture with the right bulbs in it in the first place instead of buying a fixture with the wrong bulbs and then having to purchase the correct bulbs along with it.

Back
Top Bottom