Why did they all die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I got a batch of ghost shrimp the other day, to add to my breeding stock of Cherry Reds, i was going to breed them so I could feed them to my puffer fish. However of the 20 i bought, almost all of them are dead. My parameters are fine, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 7.4 pH. tank is lightly planted, and I consistently overfeed (mostly to grow the snail populatoin, not to excess that it rots in my tank).

However, all of these ghost shrimp die!

I am getting $60 worth of new breeding stock this week and I dont exactly want to see them go belly up like these guys. Any suggestions as to what else to check? I know ghost shrimp can be salt water (I orded FW, and many lived more then 48 hrs), and I know they are typically kept in poor conditions, but thesea are suposed to be the epidimy of easy shrimp to care for... how did I manage to kill them?

Oh the temp in the tank is 77F.

What is your Nitrate reading? Ghost Shrimp are not hardy inverts. They are rather fragile. Some people find it impossible to keep them alive.

Hmmm i tested it but cant find the card. I think it was between 5-15.

Sometimes they are just a bad batch as well. I've seen that happen. How did you acclimate them to your tank? Did you get them from a LFS or have them ordered and shipped to you?

Back
Top Bottom