Why do people not like goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 2 tanks, 1 for community fish and 1 for my fancy golds. I love them both for different reasons.

The community tank is in the livingroom where we chill out at the end of the day and the business of the tank is lovely to watch. At heart I'm a crazy cory cat lady and love to see them snuggle up.

The fancy gold & black moor are in the kitchen where we spend most of the day and they are such characters that even non-fish people end up talking to them and it certainly looks like they talk back! The extra cleaning doesn't seem like a chore when you look at how happy they are.

I'm currently trying to convince my hubby that a tropical tank would be a great new addition to the house, then maybe we could try a marine one........

I have 2 tanks, 1 for community fish and 1 for my fancy golds. I love them both for different reasons.

The community tank is in the livingroom where we chill out at the end of the day and the business of the tank is lovely to watch. At heart I'm a crazy cory cat lady and love to see them snuggle up.

The fancy gold & black moor are in the kitchen where we spend most of the day and they are such characters that even non-fish people end up talking to them and it certainly looks like they talk back! The extra cleaning doesn't seem like a chore when you look at how happy they are.

I'm currently trying to convince my hubby that a tropical tank would be a great new addition to the house, then maybe we could try a marine one........

Gotta love multiple tank syndrome :)

I like goldfish - I think they're pretty and you can make them look even more attractive by giving them a cool looking tank.
I personally choose tropical fish over them, however, because of the dirtiness, and also the sheer size. I will get some if I ever get the money to do a pond, but I'd never have a tank of them.

I like them. But they are a tun of work and need a huge tank if you want more than one, I don't have the space for a bigger tank or I would have a 100g goldie tank. What I really like are the butterfly koi they get such interesting personalities.

I've actually had goldfish on and off throughout my life, and really enjoyed them, but the problem for me is the amount of space they need. I know the fancy variety need less, but even then it's still 30g for the first fish and 10 for each fish after, I don't want to have to get a 55 and only be able to have 3 goldfish in, no matter how much I want a lionhead and ryukin, it's just not feasible for me at this time.

Eventually I'll build a koi pond and put some in there, but till then I'll be goldfish free

I don't like gold fish just dirty fish they dirty your tank faster then any other fish. Their good for kids and things I suppose lol. I have a 55 gallon tank with 4 tinfoil barbs and 4 tiger barbs just beautiful

For those who find them "ugly" I think it's more of "anytime you think of a fish tank the immediate thought of most people is goldfish" and it's an annoying stigma. I like goldfish but their requirements and incompatibility with most fish is a major turnoff. I'm not really a fan of the multi coloreds as I feel it's more of a "stain" than a strain. I had a beautiful comet for a while and boy did he grow. Fantastic color and his fins were breathtaking. That being said though, the more you look into fish, the closer you get to the tropics. Most pet stores are geared towards tropical fish, hell even the goldfish tanks are heated in tropic temperature which is wrong but it's true in lots of places. I'm a fan, but I enjoy my tropical planted tank.

For those who find them "ugly" I think it's more of "anytime you think of a fish tank the immediate thought of most people is goldfish" and it's an annoying stigma. I like goldfish but their requirements and incompatibility with most fish is a major turnoff. I'm not really a fan of the multi coloreds as I feel it's more of a "stain" than a strain.

Or it could be because of the grotesque strain variants far removed from their normally shaped counterparts. I do find it ironic that some folks will get up in arms over balloon rams and balloon mollies yet forget all about the fish that started it all.

Or it could be because of the grotesque strain variants far removed from their normally shaped counterparts. I do find it ironic that some folks will get up in arms over balloon rams and balloon mollies yet forget all about the fish that started it all.

So true, the telescopes disgust me. It just looks like a miserable fish and rightly so. Truly horrible

It definitely brings up the "quality of life discussion", or it should, anyway.

Especially the ones who can only look upwards (celestials?) and the ones who struggle to swim because they have no dorsal fin and stumpy tails. A lot of fancies look disabled and its almost as uncomfortable to watch them as it must be for them trying to swim and eat.

I love my goldfish. Now that I added the external 4 stage filter they are a lot less work. We bought 4 little fish and they are now baseball size. We have them in the living room. I also have cichlids in the dinning room(2 55 gallon tanks) a guppy breeding tank, a beta tank 6 gallon, and a 10 gallon with small tropical fish and 1 beta in it. My goldfish are the easiest to care for in my opinion. With a good filter and sand in the tank it's a lot easier to care for them. I do want to upgrade them to a 110 tank just to see how big they will get. They are friendly fish and will eat out of your hand. I have never feed them veggies though, but I do offer them a large variety of store bought food and occasionally some fresh duck weed. I find I watch my tank more than the TV.

I like goldfish and they were my favorite for awhile. I'd like to keep them again, but living in Florida it just gets too warm in our house. Maybe if we had a newer, more efficient AC unit I would attempt them again. As it stands though, this time of year ALL of my tanks are around 82 degrees.

It's too bad that goldfish have gotten a bad reputation. I never really found them to be all that much more work. Honestly, back when I worked in a pet store, I used to use the 'goldfish are dirty' line just to keep idiots from putting them in a 5 gallon tank with neons.

I love babies and I'm excited I got free Molly babies from Petsmart today and are with my week old guppy fry right now

I like how they look and I find them interesting and in the right tank they are pretty. But as juveniles they can have a high death rate no matter how careful you are with the water changes and parameters. They are fairly active swimming around which is nice, but they are so messy. Their bio-load is huge and their feces gets everywhere. It like coats and gunks up the filter more than any other fish.

I just don't find that pleasing. I have had them in the past and I like them, but they are too much work my tastes. Maybe someday I'll get a 55 gallon and get three fancy goldfish, but not now.

Back
Top Bottom