Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Activist

I love everyone's answers. There's so many reasons. I currently have 14 koi and 3 comets. I really miss having fancy goldfish (even though they def have some issues with their genetics as you guys mentioned) but there just isn't anymore room anymore. One day I dream of having a huge tank spanning from wall to wall and then I will dedicate it to goldfish. I could rescue alot of feeder fish and "bowl" fish with that much room haha.

Also, I will never look at tinsel the same way again.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #42
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Lol. I like them. Haven't kept them in years but will happily watch them in a good tank, or even better I think in a large pond.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
Everyone has their own taste in fish. One's perception of what is deemed as 'beautiful' or 'attractive' or even appealing differs from person (and this doesn't just apply to fish!). So, to each their own! I love my messy piggies and their puppy dog personalities and just don't see the appeal in a tank with a bunch of little fish. I prefer one or two big fish with big personalities instead.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Gotta love multiple tank syndrome
Lol
Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

The problems are that many people think that they are very dirty, and that you can only keep 4 in a 50 gallon, but if you ask me, if you do your water changes weekly, I don't think it's bad to keep 5 fish that can grow to be 10 inches long, I love goldfish
Old 10-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I love goldfish of most kinds. Black moors, orandas, ranchus and lionheads are my favorite, but I love a regular old fancy or ryukin as well (especially black, bronze and silver). I once had a steely blue colored Oranda that was gorgeous - a perfect wen that wasn't too big or small, and big puffy cheeks. Sadly he didn't survive long past quarantine.

I tend to like boring/ugly fish though, lol. My idea of an awesome fish is a brown hoplo, a bullhead, an eeltail catfish or even a lake chubsucker. I've never been much for the colorful tropicals - at most I enjoy gold barbs, golden wonder killies, rosy barbs or something with unique coloration like a chocolate cichlid.

Goldfish (like catfish!) are just too cute, IMO. People seem to think goldfish are dumb as dirt, but the three that I currently keep are just as smart as any of my other fish, and even more personable than some.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
The problems are that many people think that they are very dirty, and that you can only keep 4 in a 50 gallon, but if you ask me, if you do your water changes weekly, I don't think it's bad to keep 5 fish that can grow to be 10 inches long, I love goldfish
You're right. I think the stigma that surrounds goldfish being dirty is partly due to them being a poor "beginner fish" that a lot of people get and don't know how to properly maintain a tank for.

With the same liberal feeding schedule as my other fish (every other day, sparingly) I never noticed the tank being significantly more dirty than my others. Perhaps this is because my goldfish tanks were/are heavily planted and the nitrates were easy to control with a weekly water change and a filter cleaning every 2 weeks (again, just like my non goldfish tanks). I think every goldie tank should have the luxury of plants, but that's just me, lol.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #48
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
This really is unrealistic to even suggest stocking five 10in fish in a 50g. Species is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if your doing 100% water changes daily either. The only thing you will end up with is sick and stunted fish. Keep in mind that while the majority of goldfish growth occurs in the first 2-3 years of life, goldfish never stop growing through out their lives. One of my fancies is a tight fit in a 55g but the pictures below speak for themselves.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ve-265871.html
Old 10-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

I Like them I have 2. I think people don't care for them because they are common. I actually have been keeping tanks for 25 years and got my first goldfish 3 years ago. I thought they were to common then I realized how pretty they real are.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmoonnight View Post
I love everyone's answers. There's so many reasons. I currently have 14 koi and 3 comets. I really miss having fancy goldfish (even though they def have some issues with their genetics as you guys mentioned) but there just isn't anymore room anymore. One day I dream of having a huge tank spanning from wall to wall and then I will dedicate it to goldfish. I could rescue alot of feeder fish and "bowl" fish with that much room haha.

Also, I will never look at tinsel the same way again.
You have 14 koi in a tank? koi should only be kept in ponds 1000gallons or more. In the first year they can reach over a foot long. 14 is actually ridiculous, if someone were to stuff 14 tiger oscars in a tank, there would be uproar even though Koi completely dwarf oscars no one else has mentioned it. This just ISNT going to work in any shape or form. Your fish will be horribly stunted and all sorts of other physical dismorphia. Koi are some of my favorite and most beautiful fish in the world. I have always thought the angle they look most beautiful was from above looking from the top down.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as I can tell, Fullmoonnight never specified that the koi or comets are kept in an aquarium. There's nothing saying the fish aren't in a huge pond. Let's not jump to conclusions.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliwopp View Post
You have 14 koi in a tank? koi should only be kept in ponds 1000gallons or more. In the first year they can reach over a foot long. 14 is actually ridiculous, if someone were to stuff 14 tiger oscars in a tank, there would be uproar even though Koi completely dwarf oscars no one else has mentioned it. This just ISNT going to work in any shape or form. Your fish will be horribly stunted and all sorts of other physical dismorphia. Koi are some of my favorite and most beautiful fish in the world. I have always thought the angle they look most beautiful was from above looking from the top down.
He never said they were in a tank. he most likely has them in a pond.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

If not, good. Wanted to state and make the facts clear. If my post stops someone else keeping carp in an aquarium then ive done my job.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, gold, goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com