Why does everyone ask about nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water changes remove nitrates.
The % of water changed is the %the nitrate is removed...
50% water change will take 80 ppm to 40ppm.
Always dechlorinate and try to get water change as close to tank temp as possible.
80 ppm isn't the end of the world although your fish will be happier in the 10-20 range IMO.

I do 25% daily right now Cause im medicating always use prime, temperature matched water , i do 25% weekly when not medicating

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Water changes remove nitrates.
The % of water changed is the %the nitrate is removed...
50% water change will take 80 ppm to 40ppm.
Always dechlorinate and try to get water change as close to tank temp as possible.
80 ppm isn't the end of the world although your fish will be happier in the 10-20 range IMO.

+1 I'd just do a few extra changes to bring it down.

Bright side of this now you can get an accurate nitrate reading :)

Caleb

Im getting ready to do my nightly water change before i add my rid ich, should i gravel vac instead of siphoning out of the middle, i just vacced every but if gravel 3 days ago

Now I'm worried i used to do 50% weekly but was told that's too much

Now I'm worried i used to do 50% weekly but was told that's too much

Nahhhh I do 50-75% a week on all my tanks. As long as temperature isn't far off you are good.

Caleb

How is it still so high when I've done 25% daily for the last 4 days ugh

So tonight do 50 or stick with 25% as per im treating rid ick, should vac the gravel i know nothing about nitrates and was always told by every lfs not to worry about testing it now I'm wondering if the nitrates could of killed the other 3 fish

I was told by forums and lfs to only vac 50% of the gravel weekly i did 100% 4 days ago, i have really bad anxiety and this is making it worse, it's more around 60 ppm now that i look at it but that's still high i do 15 gallons out of 55 gallons nightly so 50 or 25 cause I'm about to wig out and run downstairs and apologize to all my fish for being a dolt

So tonight do 50 or stick with 25% as per im treating rid ick, should vac the gravel i know nothing about nitrates and was always told by every lfs not to worry about testing it now I'm wondering if the nitrates could of killed the other 3 fish

Nitrates wouldn't kill your fish. Past 40 it can weaken their immune systems, from there disease probably claimed them.

Caleb

So am i doing 50 tonight or am i sticking with 25 i have to write down how many fish i have before i can use the advisor site..

25% PWC every couple of days until it heads back to reasonable land.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Im doing 25% nightly (takes my anxiety med), will my fish get their immune system back once i get it lowered

Most things heal ^_^ It isn't like you doused them in household ammonia and caused permanent scarring. This would be an entirely different conversation were that the case, no?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah i just thought i was doing everything right, so I'm downstairs should i stick with the 25% still have 3 more days i have to do nightly water changes or should i up it?

It wouldn't hurt to up it a bit to say 35-40% if you can handle it. :thunb:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah i just thought i was doing everything right, so I'm downstairs should i stick with the 25% still have 3 more days i have to do nightly water changes or should i up it?

What are you using to treat the ich??
Vacuum every time so you help to remove the little ichs that have fallen from fish to substrate and thus help the med kill more that are in the tank.
The meds only kill the ichs when they are off the fish so removing them really helps way more then most realise.
The more water you can change the better especially with sick fish if you can afford the medication.

I don't have ich, my lfs has me using kordon rid ick + for a possible parasite that killed a few other fish but now I'm thinking it was Nitrate not a parasite im gonna do 20 gallons out tonight instead of 15 and vac the gravel in the areas i can get to without removing the decor cause the fish are pretty stressed im assuming cause if the meds

Back
Top Bottom