Why does my aquarium look GREEN?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My lights just went out so I sent my wife down to Petsmart to pick up two new 48" 40watt tubes for the hood... But one problem, now everything looks very GREEN!

It has been years since I have had to change out lights and these ones came with the aquarium, but I do remember having this challenge in the past. They say Full Spectrum, Plant growth lights, etc... in fact she took two different types to see if we could see a difference... Let's see, one is a Coralife Nutri Grow Plant Lamp and the other is a SpectraMAX...

So my question... Has anyone else experienced this with a freshwater tank? any advise or brands or secrets here? These new lights are definitely too green, almost glowing green...

Thanks in advance

That is odd the the lights are green, because green is just about useless for photosynthesis. Blue and red are where it is at, plants are green becuase it does nothing for them so they reflect it and absorb all other colors.

...I think.

Wow, another Arizona freshwater member! :) Welcome!

I acquired a used tank that was previously used as a saltwater tank and it had reef lighting (one 10,000K bulb and one blue actinic). These made the tank extremely washed out. I replaced these with two 4100K bulbs and it looked very yellow. I wouldn't say green, but definitely yellow.

At the advice of justDIY, I replaced those with two 6500K bulbs and I'm very pleased with the difference. Very white, and makes the plant colors stand out great.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Madame_X....

I attached a photo to this reply, but I'm not sure how this works yet... I guess the photo doesn't do the situation justice either... hmmm

Maybe I just had bad lighting before... I would like to have a cool blue more than green...

I know how you feel.

I just picked up a Aqua-Glo freshwater lamp for fish and plant growth and my tank sudden;y had a slight blue haze.

Altho I don't know if the green is from the same thing..

Maybe its just particles that were floating in your water that didn't illuminate with the last bulbs? :?

You can tell the green in his water by comparing the wall you see through the tank with that around the tank, tho :p

Back
Top Bottom