Why does my tank smell like a swimming pool?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bree101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently did a water change - about 30% on the weekend. Now there is an over powering smell of Chlorine .. it smells like a swimming pool in our house..
Whats going on?
My husband did this and used tap water that he treated..

Are you sure it's been treated? It really shouldn't smell of chlorine after it has been dechlorinated.

Which product did he treated the water with? Let us know Also, how much did he add.

30% equals to what amount in your aquarium?

If there was that much chlorine in the water that it can make your while house smell, the fish would be toast.

I would look at other potential sources.

So I have figured out this smell is ONLY if the light is on!? Could the lights be burning out? Or am I just crazy? Lol. I swear it only smells if the light is on ( I have had the light off for two days and this morning I turned it on for 4 mins TOPS and it started to smell in here )

What lights do you have? When the old shop lights starts going bad they smell like rubber burning not chlorine but each nose is different so. The same when i open a bottle of prime...i dont smell it as bad as others do. Kind of the reason i was asking what product he used to treat the water. If it was chlorine, you would have said dead fish after PWC with chlorine smell.

Back
Top Bottom