Why doesn't my python work like it should?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ferret_Friend

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I first got it, it seemed to work relatively slow, but I liked it better than hauling barrels. Now though, it won't maintain suction unless I keep the water running. I have a 50 foot hose and two 29 gallon tanks, one just below sink level and one just above. It doesn't seem to matter either way.

Is there something I'm doing wrong that's keeping it from maintaining suction without the water continuously flowing?

I was always under the impression that the water had to be continuously running. Or at least i read that in the instructions that came with my 50ft Python.

-Pleco

It may be that you have a clog somewhere in the Python. I used to run into this problem with my low-tech gravel vac from time to time.

You could also try emailing the folks that make the Python for help too.

Good Luck!

i keep the water running too, i got mine last week and i must say, i had so much fun cleaning the tank i wanted to do it again instantly.

here's a question, how do you guys adjust the water temp when refilling? i tried to do it before it started filling the tank, but i made a mess. i had the water rushing through the drain and the "gate" in the closed position and then i plugged the drain and tried to run to open the "gate," but water went everywhere.

there's gotta be a better way right?

scalesojustice said:
here's a question, how do you guys adjust the water temp when refilling?

I have the T-piece open. My 'gate' at the end of the tube broke, so I dont even use one. Let water run until the temp is correct. Place tube in tank. If it starts to drain water, it wont matter. Hold tube in place, spring loaded clamps work great for this. Then I go back and adjust the T-piece to close, to fill the tank. Maybe get a 2nd person to hold one of those positions, while you turn it on?

Back to the OP's issue. I have alwways let the water run, that's what maintains the pressure difference. Though, one of my tanks is able to drain once I've started the process with running water, then turned it off.

with as little head (a measure of enegy in water) as you are describing its very easy to lose suction. im surprised you got suction in the lower tank in the first place since if the water in the tank is less than about a foot above the exit, you wont have any head due to frictional losses. in all likelyhood you have a clog somewhere or your valves arent completely open, causing a fricitonal loss. as for adjusting temp what parts do you mean by drain (the open end of the faucet pump?), and gate (the valve by the vacuum tube?)

I adjust the temp as the water is being sucked out of the tank, then I just close it off and start filling. I never close off the gravel vac end. Once closed, you can partially open it to check the output temp and adjust and close back off. This way the Python isn't sucking the water from the tank when you make the final temp adjustment. And I just go by feel, and usually get the temp within 1-2 degrees. And I'm having to use a 75FT Python myself for my 55G across the house.

And as for the suction, I leave the faucet on. That's the whole purpose of the Python. That's what maintains the suction.

Do you have a sink that is at a lower level? This will help - at least a little.

I use my python like a regular gravel vac when draining, and put the outlet outside on the grass. With the outlet being that low I get decent suction without using the tap.

wonderful suggestions.. I'm putting a python on my x-mas want list. I figured I could use it to refill the tanks.. I'm still leary on using it to remove water as I can't inspect the removed water for babies and such.. And I think it would make a mess splashing all over the sink.. but... I have never used one, so these are still myths..

If you're using it to do deep gravel vacs you need to keep the water running.

If you're using it just for pwcs then just run the water long enough to get all the air bubbles out and the suction will drain the tank water. No reason to waste water.

I put the python in the tank and suck on the other end for a second and then just throw it out a window. that way i don't waste water. when i am done cleaning/draining, i hook it up to the sink to fill em up.

maybe im the only one that has noticed this with the Python (or Lees brand which I have) but the portion of the connection that attaches to the sink (venturi) sometimes get loose. Basically, by screwing it and unscrewing it the "sleeve" on the python becomes loose from the rest of the venturi. The only way to fix this is to take the metal or plastic sink adapter and screw it into the venteri siphon unattached from the sink and tighten it down. Then remove the adapter, attach to the sink faucet and then reattach the venturi to it.

If this peice is loose, the running water thru the venturi isn't providing as much siphon action. And yes.. you can use the python if the tank is below sink level, this is how a venturi works as opposed to a regular hose siphon.

IceH2O said:
If you're using it to do deep gravel vacs you need to keep the water running.

If you're using it just for pwcs then just run the water long enough to get all the air bubbles out and the suction will drain the tank water. No reason to waste water.

That may be the problem, because I recently returned my Oscar and Cichlids, and they are real poop machines, so I had to vacuum the gravel every time. That's probably it right there.

Thanks! :)

I too drain out the window. Better suction with gravity and it waters my plants.

Back
Top Bottom