Why I think people overestimate the skill needed to care for live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
Igot my first plant a while ago and I have not had a problem. A lot of people say that they're not ready for live plants yet. I didn't think I was either! I literally planted it and it grew. Maintenance free! Accept for trimming it every once and a while... I got frill. It looks good and matches the theme of my tank. It also will be a good place for fry to hide.

There are people like me who when they get plant just dont have luck with them. Mine grow REALLY slow or die. I just bought fert and its helped a little. As im writing this i realized i didnt turn on my bubbler. Im away for the weekend and the lights dont come on automatically and not enough light comes in my apartment window. I hope they will be ok and not oxygen deprived for 2 days. Anyway i think the reason people say they arent ready is because they Arent talking about one or two plants they are talking about an entire tank full. One plant may thrive but more plants have to fight each other for nutrients and CO2 and stuff like that. When you have a planted tank you do need to worry about ferts and CO2

it's not so much skill as it is knowledge. there is so much to know about growing aquatic plants, that it is close it impossible to be successful without understanding what you're getting into.

I had to fine tune exactly how long to run he lights with a timer, and other things like that. I've never used fert or root tabs. My bubbles r always constantly on. That's the best way for them to be.

I am getting two more plants tomorrow. Anarchis an probable a sword or something like that. Maybe java moss too. I have found an easy solution for co2. I have an air pump and stuff and I have a co2 tank below my tank. I had to make it slowly release a little bit at a time into the airline. It works fine.

My bubbles are off cause i dont have CO2. The disruption at the surface causes the CO2 to leave the water and i need as much as possible.

if your getting swords they will deff need a root tab because they are heavy root feeders and dont really soak up chems in the water colloum but good luck anyways :)

let me know how it turns out

I recommend Egeria najas over egeria densa ('regular' anacharis). In my experience, the Najas has been more resilient, grows just as fast, and (purely opinion on this one) looks better due to its density of small leaves once it gets going.

The najas variety also takes Excel consistently without flinching, while the densa may tolerate it for a bit but tends to melt eventually. I've also noticed that while many of my fish (catfish, killies, cichlids, barbs) will eat/try to eat the densa, they never touch the najas.

Just something to consider. Both are still great low maintenance plants regardless.

One of the reasons I got frill is because someone told me it's easy for snails to eat. My snail named Sally LOVES to scoot around up the plant and munch on the branches. :)

Back
Top Bottom