Why is my female Honey Gourami making a bubble nest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katrinag

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed yesterday what looked like a bubble nest in my tank and today I caught my female Gourami adding to it. What I am wondering is why is she is doing it? I have never had a male near her and I have had her since May. Also reading through forums etc its usually a male that does that. Anyone know what this is about? I can't imagine she is pregnant.

Thank you

If I had to guess it's just because she's happy. The current at the top must be weak enough for her to feel that she can build a nest and try to attract a male.

I've never read about a female gourami building a bubble nest. This is really unusual

If I had to guess it's just because she's happy. The current at the top must be weak enough for her to feel that she can build a nest and try to attract a male.
well that makes me happy :) I usually have an air stone on in the corner she is building and will shut it off when I feed them and won't turn in back on until the next day. I think I will let her have her fun for a bit. Thank you for the feedback, made my day :)

Attachments

• image-3845267749.jpg
    image-3845267749.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 135
  • image-3946516048.jpg
    image-3946516048.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 156
  • image-1979788964.jpg
    image-1979788964.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 174
Females are very dull and bland in color and females have rounded dorsal fins whereas males have bright color and pointy dorsal fins. Most pet shops don't even sell females because no one wants to buy them due to their bland color.

Females are very dull and bland in color and females have rounded dorsal fins whereas males have bright color and pointy dorsal fins. Most pet shops don't even sell females because no one wants to buy them due to their bland color.

Well thanks again for enlightening me.. I originally had 2 but lost 1 a while ago. I thought they were 2 females as requested but I guess not. Is it true if you have 1 male Gourami you should not have another? I wonder if that is why the other died. She/he never really did grow the same as the other.

Well thanks again for enlightening me.. I originally had 2 but lost 1 a while ago. I thought they were 2 females as requested but I guess not. Is it true if you have 1 male Gourami you should not have another? I wonder if that is why the other died. She/he never really did grow the same as the other.

Sorry, I didn't mean to give you the wrong answer. I forgot that males were the ones to make the bubble nest. None of my gouramis or bettas make bubble nests, so you must be doing something right. Male gourami's are pretty territorial so 1 is the usually the best number. It's been a long time since I've seen a female dwarf gourami for sale, but when you see one you'll know. They are no where near as brilliantly colored as the males. When you had 2 did you notice them fighting a lot or one picking on the other?

Sorry, I didn't mean to give you the wrong answer. I forgot that males were the ones to make the bubble nest. None of my gouramis or bettas make bubble nests, so you must be doing something right. Male gourami's are pretty territorial so 1 is the usually the best number. It's been a long time since I've seen a female dwarf gourami for sale, but when you see one you'll know. They are no where near as brilliantly colored as the males. When you had 2 did you notice them fighting a lot or one picking on the other?

no problem. I do recall the little one being picked on. It seemed that his/her color dulled and it did not grow like the other. I think the LFS still has a tank full of these. It makes me mad that they don't know what they are doing. I specifically asked for 2 females knowing about the male issues and they said they are definitely females, that they keep the males in a separate tank. I am glad I never replaced the one that passed with the same. oh well this is how you learn.

thanks again

Most likely in the tank at the store they were duller to keep a more dominant male from picking on them. The store employees should know the difference, but sadly most are just minimum wage workers taught only how to net the fish and sell you chemicals that you likely don't need.

Back
Top Bottom