Why is my tank easier to maintain than I read?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hexavalent

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Long story short, I have a 5 gallon goldfish tank in my apartment. I know it's way over the 1 in fish per gallon rule, but because it was a "co-managed" tank it ended up with 8 goldfish. I do not have a pump, filter, ect. I have one live java fern. I change the water/suction the gravel at the bottom once a week. Probably changes about 50% of the water. I condition the water for chlorine and reduce the hardness a bit because of the tap water.

From all the advice I've read, it seems like I'm getting off easy. I want to get a 10 gallon with an actual pump and filter media and prettier fish. Also, more plants. Are goldfish just nuclear proof, or will I have to maintain my tank more with less hearty, more pretty fish?

The tank has been up and running for like 6 months.

Long story short, I have a 5 gallon goldfish tank in my apartment. I know it's way over the 1 in fish per gallon rule, but because it was a "co-managed" tank it ended up with 8 goldfish. I do not have a pump, filter, ect. I have one live java fern. I change the water/suction the gravel at the bottom once a week. Probably changes about 50% of the water. I condition the water for chlorine and reduce the hardness a bit because of the tap water.

From all the advice I've read, it seems like I'm getting off easy. I want to get a 10 gallon with an actual pump and filter media and prettier fish. Also, more plants. Are goldfish just nuclear proof, or will I have to maintain my tank more with less hearty, more pretty fish?

The tank has been up and running for like 6 months.

You have 8 goldfish in a 5 gallon!!!? What type of goldfish, most commonly sold goldfish get massive!!!!!!

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

You have 8 goldfish in a 5 gallon!!!? What type of goldfish, most commonly sold goldfish get massive!!!!!!

Just common "feeder" goldfish. The ones that are cents per fish. 6 have barely grown. 2 probably doubled in size and are maybe 1.25-1.5 inches.

As the other post mentioned, I don't notice any deformities... The fish seem happy and healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just common "feeder" goldfish. The ones that are cents per fish. 6 have barely grown. 2 probably doubled in size and are maybe 1.25-1.5 inches.

As the other post mentioned, I don't notice any deformities... The fish seem happy and healthy.

Ok :phew: I was scared for a seconded I would recommend next time as just saying minnows or feeder fish so people don't freak out!!!!

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Ok :phew: I was scared for a seconded I would recommend next time as just saying minnows or feeder fish so people don't freak out!!!!

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Sooo... the maintenance on my tank is adequate in your opinion? I've just read so much about a pump is a necessity but my tank seems to be healthy without one. Would I even really need one with 10 gallons? I just have premonitions with leaving things running while out of the apartment.

Sooo... the maintenance on my tank is adequate in your opinion? I've just read so much about a pump is a necessity but my tank seems to be healthy without one. Would I even really need one with 10 gallons? I just have premonitions with leaving things running while out of the apartment.

Bigger is always better and yes u do need a filter that's what takes the poop out of the tank and filters the water. While water changes are the most important thing for pristine water a filter is still necessary.

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

You need way more research....?

Read up a lot on starting an aquarium before doing anything else. And rehome those goldfish. They would rather be feeders.

29g Community

3g Betta

Looming piano..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's not actually true. Given proper living conditions, the "common" goldfish grow to around 12" long and live for 20+ years. Whether you want to call them common, comet, feeder or carnival goldfish, they are all the same fish.

The reason you've probably never seen them grow to they're normal full size is because they are either feed to other fish (hence the term "feeder") or, as in the case of the OP's fish, they are kept in such dismal conditions that their growth is so severely stunted and they die from internal organ failure.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I think "all" goldfish get big.
Goldfish are pretty hardy, though I never had them, I know lots of people that have used feeders to cycle their tanks so relatively easy to keep and no comparison to how most other fish should be kept for optimum health.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Because "regular" goldfish get huge. Feeders don't.

Not true. "Feeders" are just like any other goldfish.

In fact... Feeding goldfish to your fish is unhealthy anyway. Goldfish are very low in nutrients AND can carry parasites which is not surprising if you look at the tanks they are kept in.

Please do your research.

And no, a filter is not necessary but it makes more work for you because more water changes.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Not true. "Feeders" are just like any other goldfish.

In fact... Feeding goldfish to your fish is unhealthy anyway. Goldfish are very low in nutrients AND can carry parasites which is not surprising if you look at the tanks they are kept in.

Please do your research.

And no, a filter is not necessary but it makes more work for you because more water changes.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Here's the deal, first off the inch of fish per gallon rule is extremely out dated and in my opinion shouldn't be followed anymore.

Next, you should have 1 goldfish for the first 20 gallons of water and 1 goldfish for each additional ten gallons after that. With that being said for your 8 goldfish you should have atleast 90 gallon tank. Aside from swimming room, you need this much water with adequate filtration and good water change schedules to keep the water at an acceptable level.

Finally..... Feeder goldfish are regular goldfish. Whoever said they don't grow as big as regular goldfish, should do a little more research. Most common goldfish exceed 6" when fully grown..... The fact that you have had yours for some time now and they haven't gotten any bigger is a deformity/ defect in itself. They should be a couple inches by now. Have you tested your levels for ammonia? Because I bet if you did they would be sky high.

I am all for mistakes. I've boughten fish on impulse before and had to upgrade tanks down the road..... However before adding fish you should really do your research before you purchase. Any local store should have thrown up a red flag and explained to you that 8 goldfish shouldn't be kept in a 5 gallon tank for any period of time! I personally recomend at this point to either give the fish back to the store or upgrade your tank size to something much larger than a 10 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I cycled a tank a 55 with a 15 cent feeder goldfish and it ended growing to 8" and started eating convict fry that I was growing out. That fish is now 11" living in a friend's koi pond.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was pretty candid about tank size when I got them. I got them at one of the "big two" pet stores and was never told of an issue. Frankly, the posts on here have ranged from "common goldfish don't get bigger than a couple inches" to "you need at least 30 gallons for one goldfish. And not to mention that when I was in my early teens I definitely had won some goldfish at a fourth of july parade thing. And we all know the story there, kept in a one gallon bowl and dies in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the input, I'm still learning a lot, and obviously my tank is over stocked so I will find a way to correct the error. Preferably just give them back to a store, but I didn't even know that was an option???

Back
Top Bottom