why is my water pink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snoflk16

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I set up my tank and everything seemed fine till I added start zime now my water is pink and it looks like pink stuff may be growing in it. I had an existing Goldfish and I added two new ones I done know what to do. I bought stuff to clear the water but thats not helping its just getting worse. My boyfriend had 4 minnows he caught and put them in the tank for like 4 hrs. I have no idea what it is. Its a 5 gal tank I have a filter. Can someone please help me:(

I am thinking that it is a bacterial bloom and it will die down by its self. Just keep doing water changes. Also I see another issue in your tank. No goldfish can be kept in a 5 gallon and especially not 3. They grow over a Foot and have a huge bio load and will quickly dirty the water in your tank. You will need to rehome the goldfish and get fish suitable for your tank such as a betta. I hope this helps!:)

So its normal then? And yeah I didn't realize that when I got him last year, my mom picked out two tiny ones the other day, that was when I realized how big he had gotten. Im getting a much larger tank soon what size would you recommend? My goal is to turn this tank into a beta tank or get one of those albino frogs. Right now im just concerned about keeping my fish alive till I can get a bigger tank. .... I have another question when I got him he looked like he had a black mustache now its gone. These other two she got one looks like a white koi but it a gold fish she has red on her face the other kinda looks like a miniature black tip reff shark but hes yellow with black tipped fins and a black strip down his back.. will there colors fade too? & do you think they are even goldfish? They were 25cents at petco

Yes they are almost certainly goldfish and they will most likely change color patterns a little as they get older. And for three commons I would recommend at least a 55 to keep them happy through out their life and possibly even a larger tank then that as they grow. I know it sounds like alot of tank space for only 3 small fish but they will grow into monsters quickly. It sounds like you already understand that you need a larger tank but I just wanted to make sure. Yeah the pink water is most likely a bacteria bloom that will clear up by itself eventually.:)

Can you please post pics of the fish you have so we can help ID them and make an appropriate tank size suggestion? If you need help posting pics, please just ask and we can help! In the meantime, I would suggest constant water changes (wcs) in the range of 50% a couple times a day with temperature matched, properly conditioned water until they can be rehomed into a more suitable tank.

Please read this link as well for information on cycling:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Back
Top Bottom