Why is this hobby so addicting???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Question! !!!

If you are over feeding your fish, does that mean they don't eat the food and it gets left on the floor of the tank? Or does it mean they pee/poop too often for the tank?

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater
35 gallon~ red ear slider, soon to add guppys and shrimps

I had a tank growing up when I was little then it leaked while we were all away and my parents said never again. When I went off to college I got a couple of betta in 5g tanks Then there was a break when I had snakes. I moved and couldn't keep them so they went to live with a friend. After that it was a 12g, then a 55g. Then the guys in my 12 went into a 20 long. I have all 3. Right now my 12 is sitting all alone with hornwort floating around in it. I can't decide what to do with it. My red cherries are actually doing well in my 20g with guppies so I am thinking of cycling that and letting it go for a few months then getting blue velvet or pumpkin shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 4 tanks in 6 months. It very quickly became an obsession! :) only 3 tanks are established though. 2.5 / 10 / 45 / 75 gallon. 75 is still cycling. And yes water tests make me feel like a chemist :p I went from an Xbox junkie to a fish junkie. I'm always on here or safari reading up on something.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

I've gone from..ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422711793.849245.jpg
To...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422711820.165039.jpg
To finally
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422711911.548762.jpg
AndImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422711967.814864.jpg

Got some artificial plants that id like to get rid of one day as I get better at plants...still working on it ?

And I'm even going to try to fix my friends 55 gallon...kinda sad right now ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422713324.932361.jpg
After pics to come...

Oh dear a Bala shark alone in a 55 yeah fix that...

Caleb

Oh yes bala shark, green barb and serpae tetra all going back to lfs...

Going to get a school of maybe diamond tetras and a school of cory cats. Also I know it's not ideal but they are attached to the rainbow so we are going to get it a buddy....

Oh yes bala shark, green barb and serpae tetra all going back to lfs...

Going to get a school of maybe diamond tetras and a school of cory cats. Also I know it's not ideal but they are attached to the rainbow so we are going to get it a buddy....

? I don't blame them on the rainbow they are very pretty fish

Caleb

Yes, I agree 100% with this thread. I started this hobby about a month ago and this is all I talk about and do. My girlfriend(her dad got me into it) is probably sick and tired of hear me and my fish talk. I'm about to get my third tank already. Went from a tiny little 1G to a 10G and possibly going to go for a 45G. What a hobby.

Thankfully my husband loves when I talk fish and tell him how cycling a tank works. My other family and friends on Facebook get annoyed with my pictures. Haha. What ever !

Yah well what sucks for me is i have one year before we get stationed somewhere else.
So should I really put the time and money and effort into having a planted tank , just to move in another year? I don't know how long a plant can live in a sealed bag of tank water, so if anyone has any tips, let me know.
I'm pretty depressed about this.
I live fish keeping. It's my absolute joy and hobby. Besides my 1 year old. Haha.

Any tips on moving and starting over with plants, lmk.

I just adopted a red ear slider, and found out you pretty much can't fly with them. Even if they're in cargo! What **** is that ?

I would not add guppies and shrimp to your turtle tank. The shrimp and guppies will make for a nice dinner for your turtle. Especially since shrimp and guppies are so slow moving they'll be gone in no time. I have a 75 gallon tank with two red eared sliders and some tetras. I added 3 cories and 2 have already been eaten. The tetras however are too fast for the turtles.

Yes I'm adding them to look at and for him to eat. Never had guppy. I think they're pretty and I won't mind if they get eaten. I'll just buy some more.

Sorry if that offends anyone.
I will buy lots of shrimp so it might take him a while to eat them all. I love watching them.

It's addicting because you can see the fruits of your labor. Makes ya feel good. Proud. Not like work and school most times.
I'm an INTJ. Learning stuff is my fav thing to do. Trying to whoop everyone else at doing it is equally fun (I'm nowhere near that). Maybe I have a god complex and I like the fact that the fate and happiness of living beings are in my hands. Mwaha!
Only kidding. I don't even have "before" pics of my first tank it was so gnarly. I'm up to five with another on the way. I just love the challenge and the dynamics.

From a 27gallon to 42gallon and now owning a 119gallon. Yep just gets bigger

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422751479.938624.jpg got upgraded to a 20 long
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422751501.205040.jpg
I let the tank kinda do its own wild things so the fry and RCS have places to hide from the adult guppies. (I posted this on another thread too as it has before the before/after thread)

Question! !!!

If you are over feeding your fish, does that mean they don't eat the food and it gets left on the floor of the tank? Or does it mean they pee/poop too often for the tank?

I'd say the answers to your questions are yes and yes. If you've got food left on the bottom of the tank, all's it's gonna do is rot. If your fish eat all they can handle, they could expel more than your tank can handle.

I'm a firm believer in keeping your fish hungry enough to eat again. In the wild, your typical fish is an opportunity feeder, getting a little bit all day long. Occasionally it might come along something dead and gorge out, but it's not the norm. I was taught a long time ago to feed your fish as though their stomachs are roughly the same size as their eyeballs and that they should be able to finish their food in 30-60 seconds. It works for me. I try to feed my fish 5/6/8 times a day or more when I can, maybe more often, as long as they gobble it all up in 30-45 seconds or so. I try to feed them 2-3 times on the days I'm busy. If I try to give them three minutes worth at a time, a lot of that is gonna straight out rot in the tank. I spent over a decade in the aquarium business, and a lot of the people who had issues with water quality and sick fish were also feeding very heavily.

I'd say the answers to your questions are yes and yes. If you've got food left on the bottom of the tank, all's it's gonna do is rot. If your fish eat all they can handle, they could expel more than your tank can handle.

I'm a firm believer in keeping your fish hungry enough to eat again. In the wild, your typical fish is an opportunity feeder, getting a little bit all day long. Occasionally it might come along something dead and gorge out, but it's not the norm. I was taught a long time ago to feed your fish as though their stomachs are roughly the same size as their eyeballs and that they should be able to finish their food in 30-60 seconds. It works for me. I try to feed my fish 5/6/8 times a day or more when I can, maybe more often, as long as they gobble it all up in 30-45 seconds or so. I try to feed them 2-3 times on the days I'm busy. If I try to give them three minutes worth at a time, a lot of that is gonna straight out rot in the tank. I spent over a decade in the aquarium business, and a lot of the people who had issues with water quality and sick fish were also feeding very heavily.

Thank you!!

View attachment 262922 got upgraded to a 20 long
View attachment 262923
I let the tank kinda do its own wild things so the fry and RCS have places to hide from the adult guppies. (I posted this on another thread too as it has before the before/after thread)

Neat pics! How do you let the tank do its own thing? Do you take the plants out to vacuum? Or fertilize? I'm sort of just starting with live plants and I'd love for them to kind of get wild.

It's addicting because you can see the fruits of your labor. Makes ya feel good. Proud. Not like work and school most times.
I'm an INTJ. Learning stuff is my fav thing to do. Trying to whoop everyone else at doing it is equally fun (I'm nowhere near that). Maybe I have a god complex and I like the fact that the fate and happiness of living beings are in my hands. Mwaha!
Only kidding. I don't even have "before" pics of my first tank it was so gnarly. I'm up to five with another on the way. I just love the challenge and the dynamics.

Yeah, I definitely like the taking care of something aspect. If it were up to me I'd have a lot more animals in general. But since I can't have like 12 dogs, I can have 20 fish instead!

Back
Top Bottom