Why isnt my water crystal clear ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidthinker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a total of 1000 litres per hour sponge filters (2 filters 1 350 per hour and the other 700 per hour) and only 2 convicts in it, its a 23 gallon tank and i do my weekly water changes up to 40 % ! , id like to see through the sides of the tank for once .... It has very fine sand in the bottom might be that? Give me any suggestions on mking my water look clearer ,thank you

This is through the sides

Attachments

• WP_20140621_001.jpg
    WP_20140621_001.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 190
Oh my goodness. Are u using any type of chemical filtration. (Carbon,purigen). Do u use any filter wool/floss. Have u tested water in tank and out if water source. Where are the sponges? Any type of external filter?

A good dose of puragen and time. should fix it. Have you had it clear in the past or has this always been like this

Sponge filters are great biological filtration but are Crap for mechanical filtration. They aren't going to remove suspended debris in the tank. You could try wrapping a sponge filter in a fine filter pad or filter floss but a standard power filter full of floss would work best.

Im not using any kind of chemical filtration i really think it is the sand though , but i would have thought these filters would be good enough , i had gravel bottom once and i think it was better then , is floss way better then using sponges ?

Did u really do a thorough job of cleaning sand? I also would recommend getting a filter u can get better mechanical filtration, using floss or wool, the sponge is doing some but not enough. Purigen is a great product for shining the water up and it is rechargeable so expensive up front but lasts a long time. Just use prime in the process. Seems to give me better piece of mind when dechlorinating it after bleach is used. How are u driving the sponges. Air or water.

Friving with water , but should i just exchange the sponges with floss ? Think i might just do that then, but i cleaned the sand about 6 times , wish i did more , but i will try purigen , is it a liquid that you put in the tank or what?

Just did a bit of research i see now its some stuff in a small bag that you put in your filter?

What kind of filters do u use. U using power heads on your sponges.

Is this a new tank? Perhaps it is just cycling? Or maybe an algae bloom? I have had my 75 gallon up and running for a few years now and always had greenish tinted or even cloudy water. Recently I bought a UV filter and wow now my water is crystal clear. Really made a huge difference. Just a thought.

Uv filters are so **** expensive, but i think its the sand, i will try using filter floss in my filters and il tell you guys how it went !:)

Do any of you know when i should start to see results just how much filter floss should i put in there?

How long is it since you set the tank up? If it's been a while try taking some water out but when replacing the water try pouring it onto a plate or something to stop it from disturbing the sand

What I do to keep my water crystal is the following I had really trouble with keeping the water crystal i always got cloudy so what I did was this i clean the tank really well like if it was new then I put pure water and just to be sure I put the conditioner I put my fish then i just give then food twice and when I give them I turn off the filters I just give then they can eat and I have like and under gravel filter so the waste is taken by the filter and that's how i maintaing my tank with crystal water for over I week with no water changes

Elmer morales

Back
Top Bottom