Why my female platy always chase other platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishshl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a female red tag tail platy two days ago.
And this evening, I bought one male red tag tail platy and two female sunset corel dwarf platies.
But my first female red tag tail platy always chase the three new platies.

Is this normal ? Will they be peaceful after several days?

I also found one small female sunset platy chased my panda cory. And all platies compete with my panda cory for their shrimp pellets. My panda cory looks quite stress.

New fish being chased and comotions going on in the tank with a new addition or two is normal. The resident fish are checking out the new fish. The new fish are knocking at everyone's doors so to speak looking for a spot of their own. When they come across occupied territory, they'll be chased until they do find a spot of their own or chase back and take over someone else's spot. It's helpful to put in a new rock or plant with the new fish to minimize the chasing. Overall though, it should settle down once the newbies are adjusted.

i had a platy that was very territorial against other platys..male female it did not matter... the platys that came with it never grew and eventually died because she would nip and chase them if they ate anything..even if it ate the scraps laying in the plants and rockss...
we named her phsyco fish...
she used to swim around with a big full belly like she was going to bust..
i bought a new school and she started again..i had to move her to her own little 5 gallon tank untill we got rid of her.. strangly enough she never acted this way with the other species .. :?

off the subject slightly,i've seen this behavior with angels they are subject to nip at other angels until they die .. the less dominant one will start swimming crazy and upside down (i assume from having it's ass kicked all night) )and the attacks get worse they will nip at them and drag them around until they are dead ..it was to late to save this one and i did not allow this and tried to save it..
finally when the male paired off with one it liked it eventually killed his mate. a female after 2 years of mating and breeding with no luck..
strange kinda like fish divorce or a domestic dispute!
:?
of course this is an angel tank that i had years and years ago when i was much younger and did not have help from anyone like i get from here!!
even though he would nip at other fish but he would not try to kill them like he did angels???..

but likewise i would like to know why fish act this way towards they're own especially fish that are supposed to be peaceful like platys..

even though he would nip at other fish but he would not try to kill them like he did angels???..

And perhaps any other cichlid. It's a cichlid thing. Angels are cichlids and though look rather frail, can kick some serious a$$ on what it sees as a breeding competitor. Other types of fish are tolerated more due to the fact they are not cichlids and are not in direct breeding competition. Their aggressive behavior is largely that of reproduction...holding territory, enticing females and guarding fry.

As of killing a mate, that may have more to do with spawning 'disagreements' (seems to be common among cichlids). Otherwise, angels are monogamous. In fact, it's common when one of a pair dies, the other dies shortly after. There's a true one on one relationship there not typically seen in a lot of fish.

TCTFish said:

As of killing a mate, that may have more to do with spawning 'disagreements' (seems to be common among cichlids). Otherwise, angels are monogamous. In fact, it's common when one of a pair dies, the other dies shortly after. There's a true one on one relationship there not typically seen in a lot of fish.

as a matter of fact i think it was a month or two after she died and then the male just died for no apparent reason?? that was the last time i messed with aquariums until now,16 years later ..
my wife went out and suprised me yesterday with 2 young veil angels..i had to put my 7 young bubble bellys back in the 10 gallon..they are now in the 55 with the peaceful fish..so far so good but now i need another aquarium Rolling Eyes ..
i did not have the heart to tell her she screwed up but this is a good excuse to buy an aquarium for our bedroom..lol
as for my platy that i named phsyco still puzzles me and my wife and everyone at the pet store..it even nipped at the platys it came with as long as they were in there??

Back
Top Bottom