Why no forum for breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liggs17

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I first kept fish, I counted just keeping them alive as a success. Now that I have had experience keeping fish, I have found that attempting to breed them is a new and exciting challenge. Does anyone else feel this way? I have done searches of the website for breeding and have come up with references to hybrids (parrot fish) and such, but nothing specific. Is there not enough interest in breeding for it to have a separate forum?

I also would love to try breeding fish. In fact, I was beginning to attempt to breed snails and work my way up to Cichlids. I did have a couple batches of molly fry but that wasn't intentional and after a while, it got to be a pain in the butt. The breeder net only holds so many fry. :)

I might dabble in this too. If only to be able to say I did it, and didn't skip any part of the hobby. I am going to try and raise platy fry, then hope for a crack at angelfish. No profit sought, just fun and experience.

Same here. I just got some guppies this weekend that are due to have some fry and would like some answers to them (i've had platies that have spawned before). Only problem is that there is no appropriate forum for this except general FW & Brackish forum. Maybe someone we'll see one?

It seems that lately there have been LOADS of posts from people breeding. I guess everyone is attempting. :D If everyone tried breeding a different fish, just think of how many different types of fish AA could have successfully breed. Now, for picking, I take mollies and guppies! :D HAHA

I've had success breeding various livebearers, but then again, if you have a male and a female in the same tank, you're bound to get little babies. I have also bred paleatus corycats, though in truth it was more their desire to "get together" and I just took care of the eggs and fry. I do know for a fact that when raising livebearer fry, the best food I've ever found for them was microworms, which are easy to cultivate and cheap to purchase online (try aquabid.com).

Liggs17 said:
I've had success breeding various livebearers, but then again, if you have a male and a female in the same tank, you're bound to get little babies.

LOL - isn't that the truth :lol:
I really hadn't noticed there was no breeders/ing forum until I read this thread - but after looking through a few pages of posts it does seem that those questions simply get posted on the "general" forum. Now that you mention it though the other aquarist sites I frequent have separate forums for breeding questions.......
As far as breeding - there's been a lot, off the top of my head I've done livebearers, kribs, convicts (the guppy of the egg-laying species, lol), white clouds, black skirts, tiger barbs, angels, a few different Africans (btw, an african tank makes a wonderful population control for a livebearer community :wink: ) and am now trying my hand at some blue rams.

I am intending on breeding Apistos and Rams... in fact after 2 weeks in the tank they have spawned.

Kribs can be a pesky as livebearers in the right conditions. Give a pair a 125 gal tank with hiding spots and a bucket load of java fern and they will fill it with fish!

A breeding forum might be handy for specific breeding issues and pics of successes.

I 2nd what matrox said. The forum might be handy for specific breeding issues, and pictures, along with storys of "how it happened." Who knows it might bring other forum members here. I know thats how I found this forum and joined. I searched for something in google and this website came up, I browsed around, and decided to join. Who knows, maybe it will attract more people here if one of the mods sets up a breeding forum.

I'd certainly read a breeding forum regualarly, and begin contributing to it once I am at the point of beginning the breeding process.

I Pm'd fishfreek and he said this option was being discussed with the other moderators and we should know something within the next few days. I also recommended to him that it could possibly be a "sexing and breeding" forum, where as people could ask others to help identify the sexes of their fishies. :D Hopefully we'll see a new forum within the next few days!

I agree!!! A seperate forum for breeding fishies would be da bomb!
Now why didn't I think of that suggestion..... :D
:bulb:

Wow, talk about a responsive site administrator. Just the other day I PM'd Fishfreek about a general accesoories category for product upload and review. That afternoon it was there! Now what file did I leave all those uploads in....

Back
Top Bottom