Why Swordtail change gender?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering why one of my female swordtail has changed gender, I had three females to 1 male, but now I have 2 males, I know if one male isnt dominant enough or becomes infertile, another becomes male but I can tell you, my male shows its dominance, and has impregnated my fish multiple times.

So I'm just curious on what other reason this may have happened.

She/he has never been pregnant, and always been with my male, she would always try and escape my male when he did his dance.

From what I understand swordtails don't change genders but some males are late bloomers as it were. Since your "female" was never pregnant with a fertile male around I'm thinking "she" was one of these slow maturing males.

Because I was curious I went looking for the article I'd come to this conclusion by. I couldn't find the exact one but I found another. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAOegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw1BXkqKRb-CHoERDa3wjneM

In it there is speculation that species/strain of the sword might effect various parts of this and that hermaphrodites might be part of the phenomenon as well.

Fascinating topic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom