Wierd 55 gallon, mounted lighting help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rnbwfimmy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I inherited a 55 gallon. The measurements are so absurd it's just going to have to remain lidless. is there a good planted tank light that I would be able to safely mount on this thing? It's a 48 by 12 tank without a center brace. But this outside rim makes it 48.5 by 13. The rim is between an inch and 1.5 inches. But the inside rim starts at .5 inches and is 46 5/6 by 11 1/6. Yeah, effing evil. Help!?

Just a question, but....

No center brace?

Since it's inherited, are you sure it's an aquarium and not a recycled terrarium?

If so, converting terrariums to aquarium use isn't a good idea for a few reasons.

Just checking.

Good luck!

A 55 gallon at 48x12? Sounds rather standard. Not having the center brace at 21 tall might be an issue. How thick is the glass? As stated above, it could be a terrarium. You could DIY a center brace and make a glass lid for it. You have many lighting options at 48 inches and most have a little give and take, of an inch or so, with leg mount.

Nope, definitely an aquarium. It was once used for bass for some reason. The problem is it does NOT work for standard 48 by 12 because it's actually 48.5 by 13, standard size lights and hoods have not worked. How could I go about making a canopy and brace? The custom lid people in our area have been hell to try and maintain contact with. I've ordered a 48 inch light with extendable brackets, hopefully it'll work.

A lid is easy, just go to your local glass shop, have them cut two pieces of glass of the desired thickness to the required dimensions (I usually have one about 4 inches for the front, and a second the remaining distance. leave a 1/4" to 1/2" space between for your hinge. Go to your local LFS and have them order the plastic hinge material and adhesive handle for the desired thickness of glass, cut it to the required length, insert your two pieces of glass, stick the handle on, place on your aquarium and you're good to go. With that length, I would go with either 1/4" or 3/8" thick glass, so it doesn't bow too much on the span.

Back
Top Bottom