Will a dwarf Puffer work in a tigerbarb tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CompMage

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, you talk about a pair of AGGRESSIVE FISH.

Ok here is the tank.

50G

12 Tiger barbs (2 Inch each)
1x 4 inch Rainbow shark
1x sunshine pleco

I did something I normally bark at people for. I got a fish because she though it was cute.... regardless it's not working out in my neon tank. He's not being mean to them as they swim WAY to fast for him to catch it's the food source is not working. They eat flakes and not a big fan of worms.

But I feed my tiger blood worms all the time and there are more then enough snails for him to eat and pester (they are not why I want to do this before it gets mentioned I don't believe in using fish to take care of a tank!! That is the owner’s job!) I'm worried about the fact that he looks to be mostly full grown is not a fast swimmer. Would the Tiger barbs leave him alone or would he become fish food?

This will only be for about a month or so till I get tank devoted to dwarf puffers. I'm moving soon, and don't need ANTHER tank to move 60 miles.

i am by no means an authority on dwarf puffers, but i too saw them and wanted one. after asking the same questions as you i found out it's not the puffer you have to worry about (i guess their quick little boogers) but the fins of the other fish. appearently the puffers will really go to town on any fin they can get near. aren't they brackish, too?

They are soooooo cute. I want one too, but my pictus would eat it pretty quickly I think.

They might be brackish. I don't know. I see them at Petco and I'm not sure if they keep brackish tanks.

Dwarf Puffers are 100% freash water.
www.dwarfpuffers.com is a great site for info on the fish... I can't wait to get a tank dedicated to them.

As for fin nipping. The only fish I'm worried about is the Pleco. But he's kind of a spinny little thing so that might ward off potentals trying for a snack.

And like I said. LOTS of snails, a dwarf puffers favorit meal.

I had a dwarf puffer in my community tank with platies and tetras, I had to remove her because she was totally stressing my fish with the nipping and chasing! She's in a 2 gal by herself now and she will only eat bloodworms. I am going to try a little snail and see what she does because I read about their jaws getting big if they don't get enough sanil in their diet, don't know if that holds truth or not but I did notice her jaws are really getting big and square. Anywho, this is because I saw her in petco looking oh so cute, lol.

It doesn't really matter what you keep with tiger barbs, AS long as you keep them happy and in a school of 6 or more, I got a betta, a black mollie, dalmation mollie, red tailed shark, and the 2 tiger barbs ( soem died of old age :( ) all in a 10 gallon waiting to be teransferred to a 29 and i've never had a fin nipped on the betta or any other fish

Dwarf puffers are mean little fish, they'll attack any fish even their own kind. They are also hard to feed because mine barely eats. They will attack the bloodworms and snails, but they won't eat most of the time. Mine became skinny puffer and died.

the only thing ive ahd dwarf puffers work with was otos, which was mainly because they lived on different parts of the tank

Back
Top Bottom